Deals you have passed up and wish you hadn't

Deals you have passed up and wish you hadn't

March 27th, 2012, 12:07 am #1

I'm the kind of person who hems and haws a lot when I'm shopping. Yes, I'm one of those "frugal" modelers, and sometimes I see a kit at a swap meet and I'm just not sure I want to shell the out cash. I have to go through this whole process..."am I ever going to build this? maybe I'll see it later at a better price? I've already spent $XXX.XXX!" and so on. The sad part is that I have talked myself out a great many deals over the years only to wish I hadn't, because it was maybe a once in a lifetime shot at something rare or just an amazing price. The one that haunts me right now is that I passed up a Koster 1/48th Fw 200 Condor for $20. I'm not sure I ever would have built it, but there was a lot in that box that I thought I could maybe use on my Trumpeter Condor. I know now if I ever see another one of those Koster kits it will never be that cheap and I'll never pay the price, because I know, somewhere out there, someone had one for $20!

What did you miss?

March 27th, 2012, 12:26 am #2

Got their P-26 and Tigercat, but missed out on the both of the A-17 kits ($50 kits were expensive in the 80s!) The fact that Hub won't give up one of his just rubs salt in the wound!

March 27th, 2012, 12:33 am #3

a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

March 27th, 2012, 12:33 am #4

I'm the kind of person who hems and haws a lot when I'm shopping. Yes, I'm one of those "frugal" modelers, and sometimes I see a kit at a swap meet and I'm just not sure I want to shell the out cash. I have to go through this whole process..."am I ever going to build this? maybe I'll see it later at a better price? I've already spent $XXX.XXX!" and so on. The sad part is that I have talked myself out a great many deals over the years only to wish I hadn't, because it was maybe a once in a lifetime shot at something rare or just an amazing price. The one that haunts me right now is that I passed up a Koster 1/48th Fw 200 Condor for $20. I'm not sure I ever would have built it, but there was a lot in that box that I thought I could maybe use on my Trumpeter Condor. I know now if I ever see another one of those Koster kits it will never be that cheap and I'll never pay the price, because I know, somewhere out there, someone had one for $20!

What did you miss?
Three Monogram Trimotors for a song on E-bay. I won the bid and retracted after the sale. I felt selfish spending on myself before the Holidays.

Our own E. G. Ruiz OFFERED me a deal to buy a Tamiya Zero for a song from him and pay it off in installments. I was jobless and penniless, so I could not make it work. Not one of my prouder moments.

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

March 27th, 2012, 12:37 am #5

What did you miss?
had no idea they'd pull what they're pulling now on Ebay!

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! - Eleanor Roosevelt

March 27th, 2012, 12:39 am #6

40th Anniversary 370Z (n/t)

March 27th, 2012, 12:43 am #7

What did you miss?
but i was 17 and into motorbikes, and didnt want an "old car"

if only I knew

March 27th, 2012, 12:51 am #8

What did you miss?
a double boxing of the Accurate Miniatures SBD and SB2U in Midway markings. Marked down to 30-ish bucks at Hobby Lobby. Kick--OW! Kick--OW!

Stuart

March 27th, 2012, 12:59 am #9

What did you miss?
had just retired from the Air Force back in the early 60's. He had an opportunity to by a fully flyable P-51D (F-51 at that time) got $500.... He had the money but know where to keep the plane if he'd had it flown home (and he could have by another pilot friend who could fly them). He said regretted not making the deal because when he got home, his younger brother (and my grandfather) had just opened an airport. He could have kept the plane there. That airport is now know as Lonesome Pine Airport (KLNP)...

He flew B-25s and B-36's...

I can't think of anything right off hand that I regret not buying. I regret SELLING a lot of stuff though... A 1966 Chevy II Station Wagon, a 1967 Chevelle 2-door coupe, and a 1970 Monte Carlo....

Cheers,
Dave

March 27th, 2012, 1:11 am #10

What did you miss?
each at Toy Liquidators.
areva