David Nickels, quick question for you...(well sort of)...

David Nickels, quick question for you...(well sort of)...

November 29th, 2011, 6:48 pm #1

I noticed on Plane talking that you mentioned that your pic for model of the year would have been the Trumpeter Neubaufahrzeug kit. I am curious as to your reasoning behind this. Now I am not disagreeing nor agreeing to this pick just curious as to why you would rate the Trumpeter kit above the Dragon and Amuzing kits. Unless ofcourse you are refering to vehicle #1 which the other two do not do. Just curious.

Roy

November 29th, 2011, 7:03 pm #2

Actually I have the Trumpter #1 vehicle which I bought since I had already bought the Cromwell kit years ago, which represents a later tank. I also picked the Trumpeter kit as it was the first mainstream kit I think. Dragon's first NbFz was the limited edition, mail order, Cyber kit.

The Dragon kit has some construction issues that drag it down too IMHO. I do not have the Dragon kit but there are a lot of comments about poor fit of the suspension. Also Dragon's tracks are perhaps not the best of the three; Trumpeter, Amusing and Dragon.

I do have the Amusing kit and it is good. I do not think some of the detailing and molding is quite as good as some people have suggested, not that it is bad. The one piece cupola, in my kit, for example, has a nasty seam and a bit of mold offset, meaning there is a lot of clean up even though it is just one piece. Slide molding didn't work quite so well on that one piece.

I'd say any of the NbFz kits would be acceptable for Kit of the Year if you asked me... Its something new, never done in plastic. With the P-51D from Tamiya, which started the discussion, its not like Tamiya's was the first. There have been 1/32 Mustang kits out for some 50 years. Granted the Tamiya one is the newest and best, its not "original"

November 29th, 2011, 7:47 pm #3

although I haven't built it yet. I did make a run of about 10 track links to test the fit there and while not bad I think the pins are a tad too short. You really have to press those pins in hard all the way to keep the links from falling apart (and sometimes they still do). The MGs on the Trumpeter kit are terrible and probably the weakest part of the kit I've found with out haveing built it. I also have the Dragon No 2 and 3-5 kits. I'd say the detail and molding is better on the Dragon kit but as you mention there is the suspension fit issue some are having. I agree with your assesment of the Tamiya P-51. Very nice kit (not without it's own problems) but nothing really new or IMHO truly revolutionary with it.

Roy

November 29th, 2011, 7:57 pm #4

I would probably glue many of the tracks on the Trumpeter kit anyway. I am not a big fan of floppy plastic links. Perhaps glue them along the bottom and up to the top of the sprocket and idler and leave them loose across the top?

At least Friul tracks dont fall apart, etc. I may get some metal ones as I like those a lot. I might try the Spade Ace tracks as they offer a couple other vehicles that I need... one stop shopping.

I need to look and see what MG's the different NbFz. tanks tank. I know they did not all use the same guns. I can live with terrible machine guns. I would rather replace two barrels than struggle with the hack and cut junk with Dragon's suspension.

I found the Trumpeter kit to be $25 cheaper than the Dragon kit too. And I liked the prototype...

November 29th, 2011, 8:28 pm #5

are the MG13. Adlers Nest makes a great MG13 but they are very expensive as I'm sure you know. Aber also has some but they are hard to find in stock anywhere. I do have some on order though from PCM. Both Dragon and Tristar have some decent ones in plastic (Dragon's are very nice) in their Panzer I kits that you might be able to rob. Friul is supposed to be comeing out with the tracks. I have a set on preorder (again at PCM). I too thought about trying some Spade Ace tracks. I know they have a pretty wide range of tracks, perhaps they make some Type 97 tracks I can try.

Roy

November 30th, 2011, 1:12 pm #6

I can get a set of the Aber guns for about $17 but I may just try to cast some copies of the Dragon kit's barrels in resin.

Spade Ace doesn't make Chi-Ha tracks that I know of. I read a review of their Panzer I C tracks and it was favorable (they fit the new Hobby Boss kit which the kit's own tracks do not fit).

November 30th, 2011, 4:29 pm #7

make Type 97 tracks. They also make tracks for the type 92, 94 and 95. The tracks for the type 94 should also be usable on the Type 97 Te Ke as it used the same suspension. I really need some for the Type 92. I was going to order some last night but the shop was going to charge me $11.00 shipping for each set. So for the three sets I was going to order they wanted $33.00 for shipping which is a little extreme to me. Here is where I found them.

http://www.importhobby.com/

If you look to the right you will see they break it down by which country you are looking so it make it really easy to find the tracks you are looking for.

Roy

PS. I pre-ordered friuls (from PCM) for my Panzer I Ausf. C. It comes with replacement sprockets. They still haven't arrived yet though and thats all I need to finish my build.
Last edited by schlichtr on November 30th, 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 30th, 2011, 4:48 pm #8

I had not looked at that web site. I had been on Spade Ace's own site some while ago (very poor) and it did not show the Chi Ha track.

I would get the tracks off eBay... shipping seems perhaps less. I need to get at least two Russian track sets sometime...

I think my Type 97 has link tracks? I forget. Its the MG version and I want the cannon one.

Note I checked the eBay price and it comes out the same. The shipping is free but they cost more per set.
Last edited by djnick66 on November 30th, 2011, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 30th, 2011, 5:56 pm #9

Fine Molds Type 97 Te Ke kit then yes it does come with link to link tracks. It also should come with both the 37mm and MG turret options. The 37mm parts are on the light grey sprue with the interior parts. I saw the tracks on e-bay as well and noticed that the price come out the same in the end. I was just curious as to why the web store didn't redeuce the shipping amount with each item. I know the three track sets I was going to order shouldn't cost $33.00 for shipping.

Roy

November 30th, 2011, 6:18 pm #10

The Te Ke command version with the MG does not have any interior or any gun options. You get just the MG barrel jacket and the face of the mantlet where the MG glues in place on the turret. It is sort of odd since photos of the MG version are rather rare compared to the gun type. I thought about trying to make a mold and cast a copy of the gun mount from the Type 95