Dark Shadows - Barnabas Collins

Dark Shadows - Barnabas Collins

March 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm #1

This is MPC's vintage Barnabas Collins kit, based on the 1966 - 1971 ABC TV series. The current reissue of the kit is fairly faithful to the original I built as a kid, and includes the horrible rubber arms and wire to make springs to hold the arms in position. Fortunately, MPC thoughtfully provides a duplicate set of arms now molded in styrene plastic, as the rubber ones are totally useless. The original kit had glow in the dark parts that glowed in a neat blue color, but the reissue has the standard yellow-green glow parts.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The model was finished in a 3-4 day period and was painted, for the most part, by brush using Badger Freak Flex acrylic paints for the clothing and Vallejo Panzer Aces paints for the face. The wolf's head on Barnabas' cane was done in Vallejo Super Silver, which comes out very bright and smooth. The model is about 1/9 scale. Included with the kit are a bat, rat and spider, which I did not use.

People complain that the MPC head is not a great likeness to actor Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas. I purchased a resin "TV Vampire" replacement head made by Cult of Personality, but found it to be a very poor likeness of Frid. In a lot of ways I felt the kit parts were actually better, so I used them for this build.

March 31st, 2012, 6:09 pm #2

on an ugly man.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

March 31st, 2012, 6:50 pm #3

This is MPC's vintage Barnabas Collins kit, based on the 1966 - 1971 ABC TV series. The current reissue of the kit is fairly faithful to the original I built as a kid, and includes the horrible rubber arms and wire to make springs to hold the arms in position. Fortunately, MPC thoughtfully provides a duplicate set of arms now molded in styrene plastic, as the rubber ones are totally useless. The original kit had glow in the dark parts that glowed in a neat blue color, but the reissue has the standard yellow-green glow parts.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The model was finished in a 3-4 day period and was painted, for the most part, by brush using Badger Freak Flex acrylic paints for the clothing and Vallejo Panzer Aces paints for the face. The wolf's head on Barnabas' cane was done in Vallejo Super Silver, which comes out very bright and smooth. The model is about 1/9 scale. Included with the kit are a bat, rat and spider, which I did not use.

People complain that the MPC head is not a great likeness to actor Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas. I purchased a resin "TV Vampire" replacement head made by Cult of Personality, but found it to be a very poor likeness of Frid. In a lot of ways I felt the kit parts were actually better, so I used them for this build.
G'day David,

Interesting figure I've never seen it before............but I'm new to the figure game.

PHIL

March 31st, 2012, 6:59 pm #4

The original MPC Barnabas and Dark Shadows Werewolf were only out for a couple of years some time around 1970. Until MPC reissued them last fall they were fairly rare. The only one I had ever seen was the one I had as a kid. MPC Also did the Dark Shadows Barnabas Van, a typical 1960s style TV show car. That had been reissued a couple of times without the Dark Shadows name on the box. The reissue I have from about 10 years ago was just the "Vampire Van".

There is no reason to day to really want an original Barnabas kit, at least if you want to build one. The reissue is pretty much identical to the original, right down to the hard box. Plus the original had the arms molded in rubber that you could not glue and the reissue has styrene optional arms.

April 1st, 2012, 2:03 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Love the detail on your work.

April 1st, 2012, 2:08 am #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Great model and paintwork David, Wooo Scary stuff kids. n/t

April 1st, 2012, 7:17 am #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

nm

April 1st, 2012, 1:44 pm #8

Try the large scale stuff like this. The scale is really forgiving, and you can actually get alway with minimal shading and shadowing too. The figures are large enough that they self shade. I did a similar 1/9 Dracula in pretty much solid black, white and red with only a little shading on the white areas and the face. He came out fine. Things like eyes are usually easier to paint in larger scales, and if you want to cheat, you can get eye decals from Archer (they make them in smaller sizes too but they look goofy).