Dam Busters on NOVA

Dam Busters on NOVA

January 13th, 2012, 8:52 pm #1

I just watched a fantastic show about the developement of the bouncing bomb used during WWII against the German Dams. A professor from Cambridge wanted to understand the process that Barnes went through to get the bomb to work. This group went as far as building a 1/4 scale dam and a 1/4 scale bomb in Canada and got a DC-4 to drop it.
Where do you apply to get these jobs! Here where a bunch of professors, PhDs, aeronautical engineers, pilots, and support crews trying to figure out how something was done 70 years ago. Image the producerer's face when this crew come in to pitch the idea. "Lister I need about Xmillion dollars to bounce a bomb across a lake". Wow with my degrees and licenses I get to work part time at a retail store and these people are digging up a lake to make a dam to blow up and flying a DC-4 60 feet above it. Its a very interesting show and may be posted on the NOVA website, its called "Busting Hitler's Dams" it has members from the 617 squadron.

January 13th, 2012, 9:04 pm #2

when it ran. It was interesting and the Pilot nailed it on the first run, of course it was daytime and no one was shooting at him. It reminded me of things the Mythbusters crew do.

Next one is on the Photo Recon work discovering and stoping the German V-weapons.

Maybe the History Channel guys should watch and see what should be running on their channel?

Mike

January 13th, 2012, 9:19 pm #3

I just watched a fantastic show about the developement of the bouncing bomb used during WWII against the German Dams. A professor from Cambridge wanted to understand the process that Barnes went through to get the bomb to work. This group went as far as building a 1/4 scale dam and a 1/4 scale bomb in Canada and got a DC-4 to drop it.
Where do you apply to get these jobs! Here where a bunch of professors, PhDs, aeronautical engineers, pilots, and support crews trying to figure out how something was done 70 years ago. Image the producerer's face when this crew come in to pitch the idea. "Lister I need about Xmillion dollars to bounce a bomb across a lake". Wow with my degrees and licenses I get to work part time at a retail store and these people are digging up a lake to make a dam to blow up and flying a DC-4 60 feet above it. Its a very interesting show and may be posted on the NOVA website, its called "Busting Hitler's Dams" it has members from the 617 squadron.
That's what the history books say, unless I misread...

January 13th, 2012, 9:26 pm #4

n/t

January 13th, 2012, 9:38 pm #5

That's what the history books say, unless I misread...
... It was a parrot named 'Bird'.

I read it here on Hyperscale, it must be true!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

January 14th, 2012, 12:02 am #6

giving away so much info...please....Mike

January 14th, 2012, 5:12 am #7

when it ran. It was interesting and the Pilot nailed it on the first run, of course it was daytime and no one was shooting at him. It reminded me of things the Mythbusters crew do.

Next one is on the Photo Recon work discovering and stoping the German V-weapons.

Maybe the History Channel guys should watch and see what should be running on their channel?

Mike
That's why the History Channel doesn't do same.

It was a very good, entertaining program. I recorded to disk.

I thought the mount for the bomb looked way too flimsy .... but it worked and more importantly didn't damage the a/c.

That US test film of their skip bomb bringing down the WAY too low light bomber test a/c (A-26?) was hard to watch. Very sad.

The side story of the dam building was good too.

Good show. Novas usually are, 99% of the time.

January 14th, 2012, 6:21 am #8

giving away so much info...please....Mike
the DC4 crashes in a fireball. One errant skip bomb goes way off course and takes out a nearby Montessori school and the episodes's producer is soon after lynched by angry soccer Moms. The quarter scale dam interrupts the breeding cycle of Canadian Man Eating Sharks and the world supply of fins for silly Chinese soup plummets. One shark fin in the PRC now sells for one iPhone (REAL ones! not PRC copies) or three 10 yr old factory workers.
Last edited by bookmark460 on January 14th, 2012, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 14th, 2012, 3:13 pm #9

snort....giggle...now thats funny

January 15th, 2012, 12:45 am #10

Funny how they never identify Buffalo Airways by name. Mind you, with Ice Pilots and this new drama show Arctic Air, they're getting plenty of publicity.