Czech Model FJ-1, WIP

Czech Model FJ-1, WIP

September 1st, 2009, 2:13 pm #1

Kinda of just getting started, but I encountered a host of problems, some from the kit, some from me.

1. The resin is very brittle, so far removing them from the molding blocks I've broken;
a. The insturment panel
b. The control stick

2. On removing the exhaust I dropped it, when I moved my foot to look for it I heard a tiny crunch. A new one was scratch built out of an old Monogram 500 lb bomb (perfect dimension).

3. Some of the .50 cal troughs had been molded over, so careful excavation was involved.

4. The resin rear bulkhead and seat was missing from the kit, so I scratchbuilt a new one.

I've added a flat panel behind the pit, the kit is made to show the canopy closed, and there's nothing there but a black hole.

Also inserted some brass stock to serve as wing spars, they are placed percisely at 3 degrees of deflection.

[/IMG]

I plan to box in the main gear doors next.

September 2nd, 2009, 9:04 pm #2

What scheme are you thinking of? Looks like the fit was pretty good so far. Keep 'r comin. Tom

September 3rd, 2009, 2:04 am #3

Got the wings and tail on today, tomorrow it's putty time, then rescribe. The panels lines and seams are all very lightly done, so I'll try and deepen them a little.

As to the scheme, my virtual (Il2 Forgotten Battles) squadron is AG-51, so I will do it in a VF-51 bird, the only squadron to be equipped with the FJ-1.

[/IMG]

VF-51 used eight Furys for carrier quals, by the end of the first week they were cancelled and the remaining Furys were shore based. I'll try and do 'ol 109.

Thanks for looking.

September 3rd, 2009, 10:46 pm #4

Kinda of just getting started, but I encountered a host of problems, some from the kit, some from me.

1. The resin is very brittle, so far removing them from the molding blocks I've broken;
a. The insturment panel
b. The control stick

2. On removing the exhaust I dropped it, when I moved my foot to look for it I heard a tiny crunch. A new one was scratch built out of an old Monogram 500 lb bomb (perfect dimension).

3. Some of the .50 cal troughs had been molded over, so careful excavation was involved.

4. The resin rear bulkhead and seat was missing from the kit, so I scratchbuilt a new one.

I've added a flat panel behind the pit, the kit is made to show the canopy closed, and there's nothing there but a black hole.

Also inserted some brass stock to serve as wing spars, they are placed percisely at 3 degrees of deflection.

[/IMG]

I plan to box in the main gear doors next.
That is gonna be nice!!

Brandon

September 3rd, 2009, 11:14 pm #5

I'm using your Fury as inspiration.