Czech green Avia S-199's

Czech green Avia S-199's

May 29th, 2012, 9:30 am #1

I am looking for a reference for the karki green that the Czechs used on their Avia S-199.
It is not the RLM 02 color but a much greener color. I have the AML decal sheet but it only has a drawing, no color call outs.
Any suggestions from the HS community would be very helpfully.

Cheers
Jamie

May 29th, 2012, 9:36 am #2

but the Tally Ho sheet I used suggested RLM82 for the green. It looks fine to me.

Tim

May 29th, 2012, 10:04 am #3

I am looking for a reference for the karki green that the Czechs used on their Avia S-199.
It is not the RLM 02 color but a much greener color. I have the AML decal sheet but it only has a drawing, no color call outs.

Cheers
Jamie
There was a grey-green that was similar to RLM02 and there was a dark-green that was similar to RLM83.
The references tend to use descriptive names rather than codes for these colours, respectively "grey-green" and "dark green". Just to avoid confusion, when I mentioned RLM83 above, I mean the "darker" shade of late-war German greens, not the "lighter" grass green (The RLM82 and RLM83 are mixed-up/confused by some references and paint manufacturers, so go for the "dark green" RLM83).
HTH
Radu

May 29th, 2012, 12:41 pm #4

Cheers
Jamie
The green-if that's what it is--looks fairly dark in this pic:

Google-image Avia S-199 and you can see how quite a few different modelers have interpreted the green color. Most seem to be going with a gray-ish green.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

May 29th, 2012, 1:47 pm #5

but the Tally Ho sheet I used suggested RLM82 for the green. It looks fine to me.

Tim
IIRC I used RAF Interior Grey-Green for the one I built many years ago.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

May 29th, 2012, 2:33 pm #6

There was a grey-green that was similar to RLM02 and there was a dark-green that was similar to RLM83.
The references tend to use descriptive names rather than codes for these colours, respectively "grey-green" and "dark green". Just to avoid confusion, when I mentioned RLM83 above, I mean the "darker" shade of late-war German greens, not the "lighter" grass green (The RLM82 and RLM83 are mixed-up/confused by some references and paint manufacturers, so go for the "dark green" RLM83).
HTH
Radu
to match that darker color on those AVIAS? Judging by that one in the museum that's online (don't know the site) the color is somewhat more vibrant than "83". I'm certainly no expert on this but the photos of that same plane in my reference books is decidedly "more" of a true green color than "83" which to me, looks more like a dark olive. ?? It seems that "02" is a pretty good color for the early S-199s. I personally plan to use those online photos to mix a "custom" color to match that; thought I'd start with something like that green the Germans used for "markings" or some other generic thing along those lines. JMHO, cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 29th, 2012, 2:35 pm #7

Tim
hey, she's been out in the sun a long time! lol, cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 29th, 2012, 2:40 pm #8

Cheers
Jamie
http://www.flickriver.com/search/avia+S199/

O.

May 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm #9

Cheers
Jamie
http://101squadron.com/101/colour.html

O.

May 29th, 2012, 4:40 pm #10

to match that darker color on those AVIAS? Judging by that one in the museum that's online (don't know the site) the color is somewhat more vibrant than "83". I'm certainly no expert on this but the photos of that same plane in my reference books is decidedly "more" of a true green color than "83" which to me, looks more like a dark olive. ?? It seems that "02" is a pretty good color for the early S-199s. I personally plan to use those online photos to mix a "custom" color to match that; thought I'd start with something like that green the Germans used for "markings" or some other generic thing along those lines. JMHO, cheers, LL

The Avia S-199 preserved in Kbely/Prague is painted a green grey. I have seen it in person - I visited that museum four times. Also, it is heavily-featured in the book "Avia S-199 & CS-199 in detail" published by WWP. The book features a few profiles in both grey-green and dark green. The dark green in this reference is a good match for RLM83 (again, the "dark Green" RLM83). The book refers to it as RLM82 "dark green", but since then it has been clearly established that the "dark green" was indeed RLM83. So, whatever you call it, it seems that the dark green was the late-war German dark green.
HTH,
Radu