Curtiss P-6E, 33rd Pursuit,1937, Monogram W.I.P.(3)

Curtiss P-6E, 33rd Pursuit,1937, Monogram W.I.P.(3)

October 24th, 2011, 6:39 am #1

A good deal of progress on this, Gentlemen. The build had been stuck for a while at the stage I like to call 'putting off doing the ####### windscreen!' But it is done now....

It is pieced together on the model from three separate pieces of .005" clear sheet (a maddening material to work with), glued down initial with very sparing applications of CA gel, then with Future and more CA gel and clear epoxy. The frame is painted decal flim, cut to strips.

Cabane rigging wires were set before the upper wing was attached; Curtiss cabane rigging is pretty nigh impossible to do with the upper wing on.

Here is the upper wing attached. The interplane strut ends need some filling (they do not really mate very well with their locator holes, though the joins are very solid). It was a bother,but not too difficult.

Upper ends of the landing wires, and the rear set of flight wires (all doubled) were attached prior to putting the upper wing on. Fairings for the turnbuckles were employed, and as they were a strikingly different color,and show pretty prominently on most photographs, I have cut bits of .01" strip to represent them.

Next steps will be completing the rigging, then with actuator rods for the ailerons and a propeller, the thing will be done....

(earlier stages can be found here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/t ... .P.%282%29

October 24th, 2011, 4:51 pm #2

I really like that the color scheme is different too. Great details etc.

What are you using for rigging? Looks like you have it well in hand.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

October 24th, 2011, 6:32 pm #3

A good deal of progress on this, Gentlemen. The build had been stuck for a while at the stage I like to call 'putting off doing the ####### windscreen!' But it is done now....

It is pieced together on the model from three separate pieces of .005" clear sheet (a maddening material to work with), glued down initial with very sparing applications of CA gel, then with Future and more CA gel and clear epoxy. The frame is painted decal flim, cut to strips.

Cabane rigging wires were set before the upper wing was attached; Curtiss cabane rigging is pretty nigh impossible to do with the upper wing on.

Here is the upper wing attached. The interplane strut ends need some filling (they do not really mate very well with their locator holes, though the joins are very solid). It was a bother,but not too difficult.

Upper ends of the landing wires, and the rear set of flight wires (all doubled) were attached prior to putting the upper wing on. Fairings for the turnbuckles were employed, and as they were a strikingly different color,and show pretty prominently on most photographs, I have cut bits of .01" strip to represent them.

Next steps will be completing the rigging, then with actuator rods for the ailerons and a propeller, the thing will be done....

Take all the time you need with this little baby - it's looking right swell! I'm following along with real interest because I have this kit in pieces in a bag somewhere and want to redo it - using your building tips!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

October 25th, 2011, 12:45 am #4

Neat plane in a neat scheme. Can't wait to see the rigging done.

Stuart

October 25th, 2011, 12:52 am #5

Great work! I love the looks of the interwar Bipes!

October 25th, 2011, 5:11 am #6

I really like that the color scheme is different too. Great details etc.

What are you using for rigging? Looks like you have it well in hand.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
I use EZ-Line (the thinner sort, in charcoal grey) for rigging. I have done some experiments with very thin wire, and even Plastruct rod in certain situations, but so far, the EZ-line elastic holds the field for ease of employment.

October 25th, 2011, 5:19 am #7

Take all the time you need with this little baby - it's looking right swell! I'm following along with real interest because I have this kit in pieces in a bag somewhere and want to redo it - using your building tips!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
It is a nice kit to build. Do take care in filling the interplane strut ends, though. Best to attach to the lower wing before the upper is on. the area that needs fill is where the angle is oblique to the wing surface, and this is on the inside face of the lower ends, and the outer face of the upper ends. The latter can be reached well enough after assembly, but the former would be a pain to get at if the upper wing was one. The cabanes mate fine,and you can have the upper wing resting on them to fit the interplane struts easily enough, so you get the right angles. Probably a good idea to file the interplane locator pins down a bit, at a slant appropriate to the wing surfaces.

October 25th, 2011, 5:19 am #8

Neat plane in a neat scheme. Can't wait to see the rigging done.

Stuart
Thank you.

October 25th, 2011, 5:22 am #9

Great work! I love the looks of the interwar Bipes!
There was a great variety in design, as it was still possible to see different solutions to the problems, and with that variety came individuality and character in the machines.

October 25th, 2011, 6:04 pm #10

You are doing nice delicate work to these little aircraft (those turnbuckles - that's nice!), and that's a highly attractive colour scheme

Good luck with the rigging, it doesn't seem to be very easy

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God