Curtiss P-1A Hawk, Chilean Air Force, 1/72, W.I.P. (2)

Curtiss P-1A Hawk, Chilean Air Force, 1/72, W.I.P. (2)

June 23rd, 2012, 2:49 am #1

I have slowed down a bit on this, but am pretty near done. Painting, rigging, and decaling are complete, and aileron actuating struts have been applied.

The best thing I can say about the Testor's decal material is that it is readily available. There was some bleed in some of the decals, even after a week's drying for the ink, and for the sealant coat. It was not immediate, but became apparent ask the decal settled in drying after placement. One was bad enough it had to be removed, but otherwise it could be dealt with by over-painting. I usually over-paint a bit anyway with these, as it eliminates the bit of white edging from the thickness of the decal film itself that is often apparent when white film is used, as it often must be.

The rigging on this is a hair trickier than usual. All lines are doubled; the landing wires must past between the rear flying wires, and the front flying wires are not parallel.

All that remains is doing the propeller (the Hamilton-Standard forging employed with the D-12 motor has a distinctive appearance), add the bell-crank fairings under the lower wing tips, and put in the bracing wires and control wires at the tail. Hopefully this will be all in hand by next week.

Earlier stages may be found here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/m ... 2%2C+W.I.P.

June 23rd, 2012, 4:37 am #2

Those old Curtiss aircraft had character. Their design department cranked out so many versions, it is be hard to keep them straight. Muy Bueno!. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on June 23rd, 2012, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm #3

I have slowed down a bit on this, but am pretty near done. Painting, rigging, and decaling are complete, and aileron actuating struts have been applied.

The best thing I can say about the Testor's decal material is that it is readily available. There was some bleed in some of the decals, even after a week's drying for the ink, and for the sealant coat. It was not immediate, but became apparent ask the decal settled in drying after placement. One was bad enough it had to be removed, but otherwise it could be dealt with by over-painting. I usually over-paint a bit anyway with these, as it eliminates the bit of white edging from the thickness of the decal film itself that is often apparent when white film is used, as it often must be.

The rigging on this is a hair trickier than usual. All lines are doubled; the landing wires must past between the rear flying wires, and the front flying wires are not parallel.

All that remains is doing the propeller (the Hamilton-Standard forging employed with the D-12 motor has a distinctive appearance), add the bell-crank fairings under the lower wing tips, and put in the bracing wires and control wires at the tail. Hopefully this will be all in hand by next week.

Earlier stages may be found here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/m ... 2%2C+W.I.P.
Nice and bright! Good job on the build and the markings - ya sure don't see 'em dressed up like this one everyday!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3; Postwar RCAF Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish