June 24th, 2018, 2:53 pm #11

JeffOlive wrote: Well done. An unusual subject. The build looks great. Thanks for posting.
Thank you, Sir. This one has always interested me, I'm pretty sure I saw it in an advertisement in an old Life magazine back issue in the school library ages ago. It has a certain look about it....

June 24th, 2018, 2:54 pm #12

slowhandshodges wrote: OOoooo- shiny! Nice build and great background tutorial too. Thanks for posting!

GIL
Thank you, Sir. Nothing looks quite so much like metal as metal. Glad you liked the write-up.

June 24th, 2018, 2:57 pm #13

jshallman wrote: Love this.  My dad trained at Williams Field.  He was ultimately a Mustang pilot and they were flying Texans by that time.  Love the training aircraft.
Thank you, Sir. Good on your dad. They flew a lot of Texans there. I concentrated on the twin engine programs, but even there, a stint on the AT-6 was often part of the initial transition from Stearmans and such.

June 24th, 2018, 2:59 pm #14

stilltubeglue wrote: I love your work and I love your stories, I learn something every time.
You, Sir, are a great and very thoughtful modeler.
Beautiful job.
Thank you very much, Sir. I appreciate the kind words. Finding a story to tell is a good part of the fun for me.

June 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm #15

731461154840 wrote: Outstanding finish!! She looks ""BEAUTIFUL"" !!
Best regards, Steve Cook
Thank you, Sir. For all its reputation as something very difficult, I suspect foil does not require so exacting surface a preparation as do the various metallic paint finishes.

June 24th, 2018, 3:11 pm #16

jmarcp wrote: NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !
Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated. I will have to get around to that O-52 I bought from you a while back....

June 24th, 2018, 3:14 pm #17

Frank wrote: Excellent build and finish. I like your figurines. Very nice work.

Frank
Thank you, Sir. I had fun with the figures, and have a little bag of spare legs and arms to show for it, too. Usually when I put a figure in the cockpit, its a sort of sign to myself I'm more interested in the over-all finish than in the detailing of a project. This was different (though I did skip some detail work...).

June 24th, 2018, 3:24 pm #18

Lynn Ritger wrote: Another outstanding bit of work from one of my absolute favorite posters here - beautiful job on that Jeep, and I particularly enjoyed your writeup.  I always learn something when you post.  :)

Thanks for being such an engaging teacher!  

Lynn
Thank you very much, Sir. That is very kind of you to say, and I appreciate your interest. I confess I chose the Williams subject because it did not have painted cowlings, so I did not have to guess from grey-tones what the color was. There is a nice little monograph in circulation on the Columbus Mississippi base, with lots of detail, and the decision was a near thing. I got lucky about the pilot who crashed it. One accident registry site had the name, and it is not a very common one. If it had been 'Pryce' or 'Pruitt' or something of the sort, getting any individual information would have been beyond me. I hope to be posting more frequently now --- have had some medical issues as well as family matters requiring attention.

June 24th, 2018, 3:28 pm #19

Yankymodeler wrote: Excellent work!  Nice job on correcting the nuances of the cowlings, and a good job on the bare aluminum finish.  The detail of the open cabin doors is a nice touch and adds much to the overall appeal. Check your propeller rotation, they may be reversed. And I'm a fan of the research behind not just the subject type, but of the specific example modeled.
Thank you very much, Sir. It wouldn't surprise me if you were right about the propeller blades. I figure I am doing well to get them true and with equivalent angles all around. I don't know who started this practice of individual blades and assembling propellers, but I would like a word or three with him --- sharp, pointed words....

June 25th, 2018, 1:16 pm #20

Brilliant job, looks fantastic