couple of questions

couple of questions

April 15th, 2012, 5:53 pm #1

looking for pictures of QF-104A instrument panel, primiliary looking to see if radar scope is there or location has been blanked out. Any one have any or where I might find such? Have done a search found nothing. Second I would like to build an F-4 Coonass militia. Looking for camo scheme and colors old Microscale instructions are very vague.
Thanks
Earl

April 15th, 2012, 6:53 pm #2

and it came up with several very good photos. The grays MIGHT be Light Ghost and Neutral Gray, but you've got a better idea of what looks right to you.

I did that scheme several years ago, and it still looks good.

Jim

Retirement is so great, I don't know why I didn't start 20 years ago.
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

April 15th, 2012, 6:54 pm #3

looking for pictures of QF-104A instrument panel, primiliary looking to see if radar scope is there or location has been blanked out. Any one have any or where I might find such? Have done a search found nothing. Second I would like to build an F-4 Coonass militia. Looking for camo scheme and colors old Microscale instructions are very vague.
Thanks
Earl
Earl,

There are several excellent photos of the Louisiana special F-4 schemes in Don Logan's book, "F-4 Phantom IIs of the USAF Reserve and AIr National Guard". To me, the colors appear to be Light Ghost Gray and Neutral Gray (35375 and 35270), although the lighter color might be Dark Ghost Gray. There were three different schemes applied, one light gray overall with darker upper surfaces, one with dark gray blotches and one with stripes (I don't remember which was on the Superscale sheet - the sheet is somewhere in my decal dungeon.) I did find this one illustration of the striped scheme on the web: http://www.juniorgeneral.org/JClick.php?UID=9874, but I wouldn't rely on it for colors.
I'll try to pull you a couple scans from the book.

April 15th, 2012, 8:20 pm #4

Thanks
Earl
Two 122nd TFS F-4Cs from 1984. Taken at Nellis during Red Flag where the Coonass Militia was tasked for the adversary mission. Unfortunately, it looks like the PC police were on the job and you can easily see where the legend Coonass Militia has been painted over on the vertical tail leading edge as has LOUISIANA at the top of the fin. It would be safe to assume that you could portray any of these jets with the legends intact so long as it wasnt at this Red Flag.

S/N 63-7679 - Compared to the SEA scheme on the jet in the background, the colors on this one look pretty strange (Sherwin Williams?)

S/N 63-7463

S/N 63-7555 - I dont know where I got this image from, but it shows the legends intact on what looks like a standard SEA (or wrap-around?) scheme in 1983:

Hope this helps,

Sven
Old Viper Tester
Last edited by Fantomtoo on April 15th, 2012, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 6:38 am #5

Thanks
Earl
Well I certainly did not google the right thing. I appreciate the help. Now to get on with modeling.
Earl