Could the internet not only be saving our hobby, but expanding it.

July 12th, 2018, 12:20 pm #1

Interesting thought piece.  I know for cooking, I often do a quick on-line review of variations on a recipe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/tech ... ernet.html
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub

July 12th, 2018, 12:33 pm #2

Read that this morning in my NYT.  The internet has revolutionized everything, albeit with some unfortunate side effects, especially regarding the shrillness of political discourse these days.  As with most things in life, it comes down to a matter of personal choice in how one uses it. Certainly, for hobbyists like us who are into history, it is invaluable. Love the NYT for many things, but one of those are the recipes in the Food section on Wednesdays. I have tried quite a few over the years.  I just cut them out and stuff them into a folder in a kitchen cabinet for future use.  To me cooking is a lot like building a model, just with more timely gratification.    I suspect its the same for you.

July 12th, 2018, 1:03 pm #3

Can’t remember when I last bought a recipe book. Now I just google a recipe. If I really really like it I print it out to save. 

Certainly the internet has the kit hobby more knowledgeable by making information exchange vis SBS and reviews easier.

Andrew 

July 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm #4

deeley wrote: Can’t remember when I last bought a recipe book. Now I just google a recipe. If I really really like it I print it out to save. 

Certainly the internet has the kit hobby more knowledgeable by making information exchange vis SBS and reviews easier.

Andrew 
I keep all recipes in my free Dropbox account. That way I can view it on any device, phone, iPad or desktop.

But I still collect cookbooks, there is something nice about thumbing through and there can be a unique approach.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub

July 12th, 2018, 3:18 pm #5

samodeldad wrote:
deeley wrote: Can’t remember when I last bought a recipe book. Now I just google a recipe. If I really really like it I print it out to save. 

Andrew 
I keep all recipes in my free Dropbox account. That way I can view it on any device, phone, iPad or desktop.

But I still collect cookbooks, there is something nice about thumbing through and there can be a unique approach.
True. It is nice to peruse a good cook book and I have enough to go through without buying them or there’s the Libary.

I don’t have a Dropbox account hence the print out.

Andrew