Copying old family photos

Copying old family photos

April 4th, 2012, 5:30 pm #1

After some confusing research I'm still not sure of the best way to copy photos. I have some old photos I'd like to share with family. I've done the scan and print thing, but it isn't that good.

April 4th, 2012, 5:44 pm #2

or some other similar type. Take them there and ask them. I am sure they can help to get waht you need .

Mike

April 4th, 2012, 6:08 pm #3

After some confusing research I'm still not sure of the best way to copy photos. I have some old photos I'd like to share with family. I've done the scan and print thing, but it isn't that good.
you might consider having them professionally burned onto a CD.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

April 4th, 2012, 7:12 pm #4

I set up a tripod on a table with natural lighting and took pics of some that I did not want to have anyone else touch. Its one option you could consider as a stop gap until you decide which way to go.

I have 1000's of pre digital camera pics that no one has really seen for 10 years or so. Scanning, naming pics, etc can take a long long time. probably why the pics are still in the boxes.

April 5th, 2012, 4:45 pm #5

Dear Ed,
I am in the process of copying many pictures I took from the late 1930's to the present.
The answer to your question is dependant on what quality you desire or actually need.

You can do it yourself with a scanner (costing around $100) if it is of prints or color slides.
If you can handle photos on your computer, that is the best way to go, especially if you have lots of pitures to copy.

It the originals are slides, you can have them copied for as little as 30 cents a slide (think Costco or Sams Club), The quality one could say is fair but not approaching a projected slide.

I use a Epson V600 scanner that sells for around 180, which will wring out all the quality you can get from the original. This scanner is probly a lot more than you will need unless you aree into photography as a hobby.

I'll attach a couple of prints to give you an idea of the results:

Perhaps my best pictue shot during the war..I knew it was over, and soon e too would be on our way home

Oiginal shot with a Zeiss super Ikonta a using Kodak Verichrome film . Taken at a big show the US Army put on for the Fench in July 1945. They had all of the type of "Air Corps" airplanes used in the ETO. ( I was not in the Air Corps, thank you)

Donald, still kicking

PS
Email me ifyou need any help with copying your pictures.
I am going to combine my pictures with music and make a little show I can leave for my kids.
Very easy to do, by the way

Last edited by donzie2 on April 5th, 2012, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 6th, 2012, 3:14 am #6

I just went through a project of scanning old pictures and creating a DVD slide show with music for our recent 50th Wedding Anniversary. I use a 'mature' HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One/scanner hooked to a HP desktop with Win 7, and we are happy with the results. I use the software that came with the computer: Media Center, Media Player, DVD Maker, Live Movie Maker, etc. [It took much longer to sort, select and sequence the desired old photos, then to review/agree on and choose the music, than it took to scan them and put them together into a final product - 'course that first part was a team effort]

HP 'Solution Center' download does a good job of managing the printer/scanner.

An old soldier, but not faded away. Yet.