Connies Pt.3

Connies Pt.3

February 1st, 2010, 7:02 pm #1

Work on the Four Connies continues, albeit at a slow pace. The Minicraft Connies have been primed, but I'm leaving the Revell (white) kit unprimed so as not to obscure the delicate recessed panel lines. Now that's looking like a production line!:

On to the wingtip fuel tanks. The Revell kit's tanks are a nice fit and it'll be easier to place the decals on them if they're painted and installed separately:

Not so with the Minicraft tip tanks. They require a lot of opening up just to get on the wing, and then they need filler, so they'll have to be decalled after they're on the birds:

Moving on to the landing gear, The Revell kit items are sturdy, and require almost no cleanup. Some photo-etched bits from the ExtraTech detail set were added to the mains, and all units were tacked in place with wheels on to check fit - I don't want any nasty fit problems at final assembly:

The Minicraft landing gears need VERY careful handling. The plastic is soft, and the gears are marred with prominent mold lines. I'd recommend removing the mold lines from the oleo areas only, and leaving it at that. Sanding or scraping away all of the mold lines leaves the gears dangerously thin and weak and there won't be much left on the sruts to hang the wheels on:

On two of the Minicraft kits, the front gear supporting struts were incompletely molded, so I had to scratchbuild replacements:

Dry-fitting gears and wheels on three Connies is tedious as hell, but the payoff is a bird that sits right:

A problem ensued when I got to the wheels in the last Minicraft Connie on the production line. Three of the four main wheels were missing off the sprue. A lengthy search of floor, workbench, boxes and bagged parts revealed nothing - they had vanished. Luckily, I found a set of old Rosepart wheel castings which after cleanup were a near-perfect match. Whew!:

Next step is to tackle the props. They are going to be a handful!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

February 1st, 2010, 9:38 pm #2

and amazing how you keep control of such a challenging multiple build !

Great work with the undercarriage - and I bet the missing wheels will turn up before you finish the Connies

Wish you the best with the props !

* <i></i> *
William De Coster / Belgium

Current Airfix GB projects :
1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
- Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
- Part I - Part II (new)

February 2nd, 2010, 3:18 am #3

The funny thing about the Minicraft kits is although they were presumably made from the same mold, the parts fit differently for each aircraft - I tweaked to that right away. I've labelled each fuselage: "Air France", "TWA", etc - and keep the parts bagged separately; engines, landing gears, tail planes, the works. Weird, huh? The Revell kit could literally be built in less than a week (the fit is that good) - or in Malcolm McKay's case - probably 48 hours! Thanks for the comments, William!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

February 2nd, 2010, 3:47 am #4

Work on the Four Connies continues, albeit at a slow pace. The Minicraft Connies have been primed, but I'm leaving the Revell (white) kit unprimed so as not to obscure the delicate recessed panel lines. Now that's looking like a production line!:

On to the wingtip fuel tanks. The Revell kit's tanks are a nice fit and it'll be easier to place the decals on them if they're painted and installed separately:

Not so with the Minicraft tip tanks. They require a lot of opening up just to get on the wing, and then they need filler, so they'll have to be decalled after they're on the birds:

Moving on to the landing gear, The Revell kit items are sturdy, and require almost no cleanup. Some photo-etched bits from the ExtraTech detail set were added to the mains, and all units were tacked in place with wheels on to check fit - I don't want any nasty fit problems at final assembly:

The Minicraft landing gears need VERY careful handling. The plastic is soft, and the gears are marred with prominent mold lines. I'd recommend removing the mold lines from the oleo areas only, and leaving it at that. Sanding or scraping away all of the mold lines leaves the gears dangerously thin and weak and there won't be much left on the sruts to hang the wheels on:

On two of the Minicraft kits, the front gear supporting struts were incompletely molded, so I had to scratchbuild replacements:

Dry-fitting gears and wheels on three Connies is tedious as hell, but the payoff is a bird that sits right:

A problem ensued when I got to the wheels in the last Minicraft Connie on the production line. Three of the four main wheels were missing off the sprue. A lengthy search of floor, workbench, boxes and bagged parts revealed nothing - they had vanished. Luckily, I found a set of old Rosepart wheel castings which after cleanup were a near-perfect match. Whew!:

Next step is to tackle the props. They are going to be a handful!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
That constellation of Connies is going well, n/t