Condor Legion 109 photos on ebay

Condor Legion 109 photos on ebay

March 16th, 2012, 5:20 pm #1

Lotsa interesting shots in this album - No relationship to seller.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fotoalbum-Fotoko ... 3a7192cc9d

Richard

I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw. - Hamlet
I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

March 16th, 2012, 6:12 pm #2

Not sure I've seen such evidence of a polished-out SCW 109 like that before... that's a great find.

As an aside, this gives me a thought about why some Spanish 109s look darker than others- polishing out the paint will darken it, witness the P-47s of the 56th FG for instance. I have said for ages now that there's no way those things can be 62 green because the contrast between the black and the base color is too strong, but have seen numerous instances of ones which look slightly darker than what we'd expect from 63 in the field... this looks like pretty convincing evidence of why that might be. It's not absolute of course, and I'm sure Modeldad will be along any moment to take the opposing view, as he so enjoys doing (I could say the sky is blue, and he'd argue about it), but it's definitely a useful and interesting clue to add to our knowledge base on Spanish Messerschmitts.

Thanks!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

March 16th, 2012, 7:02 pm #3

Lotsa interesting shots in this album - No relationship to seller.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fotoalbum-Fotoko ... 3a7192cc9d

Richard

I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw. - Hamlet
Philip & Maximilian(Doing fine at school)

Head of Ranch Security, Song Dog, Texas

Where has all the music gone?

March 16th, 2012, 7:14 pm #4

Not sure I've seen such evidence of a polished-out SCW 109 like that before... that's a great find.

As an aside, this gives me a thought about why some Spanish 109s look darker than others- polishing out the paint will darken it, witness the P-47s of the 56th FG for instance. I have said for ages now that there's no way those things can be 62 green because the contrast between the black and the base color is too strong, but have seen numerous instances of ones which look slightly darker than what we'd expect from 63 in the field... this looks like pretty convincing evidence of why that might be. It's not absolute of course, and I'm sure Modeldad will be along any moment to take the opposing view, as he so enjoys doing (I could say the sky is blue, and he'd argue about it), but it's definitely a useful and interesting clue to add to our knowledge base on Spanish Messerschmitts.

Thanks!

Lynn

an E-1 or an E-3?

The wing LE has a cannon as well as an MG port.....

Brett

March 16th, 2012, 8:23 pm #5

Thanks!

Lynn

:^)

David Rezabek
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
USA
Last edited by DavidRezabek on March 16th, 2012, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 16th, 2012, 9:26 pm #6

an E-1 or an E-3?

The wing LE has a cannon as well as an MG port.....

Brett

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

March 16th, 2012, 9:30 pm #7

:^)

David Rezabek
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
USA

March 16th, 2012, 9:32 pm #8

Thanks!

Lynn

Is that a black painted exhaust panel I see from the pipes down the side to aft of the wing trailing edge?

Cool load of photos. Nice to see some new stuff from this conflict.
Mike

March 17th, 2012, 12:04 pm #9

eyewitness evidence here that the sky IS blue, though there's a soft-edged mottle of decaying vapor trail running through it.

bob

p.s. I'm somewhat north of Modeldad.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

March 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm #10

Thanks!

Lynn

Regarding the contrast, having built a Legion Condor 109E and painted it in 62, there is indeed a lot of contrast between the black and the 62 green:

[/IMG]

I used to have (but lost it when my old PC died) a couple of photos taken by the Spanish Republicans of the fuselage of 6o88 after it's crash where it is not shiny, and it is definitely darker than even these photos. Also, I've read that the film used by the Germans in Spain washed out green colors, which could also cause the finish on the aircraft to appear lighter. This evidence would seem to support 62 as the color. That being said, there may be something to the waxed 02 theory as a happy middle ground between the two.

However, as a modeler and student, I am more interested in what the truth is than trying to fit any given evidence into a particular color theory I don't know for sure if 02 or 62 is correct (I've seen photos which could support either theory), but I am interested in any evidence which helps us to understand it. That being said, there may be something to the waxed 02 theory as a happy middle ground between the two. Now we just need someone to build a 109, paint it 02, and then wax it using the same type of wax they would have used back then

Doug
Last edited by mgbdoug on March 17th, 2012, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.