Computer gurus, I need some help

Computer gurus, I need some help

March 19th, 2012, 1:29 am #1

my family and I are visiting my uncle in Nashville. I am trying to connect my laptop to my uncle's wireless Internet but it won't connect. My brother's will and has the exact same settings for the network. I've done everything I know to to do. When I connect to the modem, it shows unidentified network and between the network and Internet icon, it shows a red x. When I click it to diagnose the problem, it gives the options to automatically get IP address and to reset wireless adapter. I've done both with no luck. Anyone know what else to do?

Cameron Forester
Aviation Maintenance student

I don't rant; I complain logically
-My mom

March 19th, 2012, 10:29 am #2

..is that your computer's network card / chip uses a different wireless security standard. If your's has WEP, and the network's router uses WPA / WPA2, they can't communicate (or vice versa). Try switching off encryption on the router. If it then works, that's the issue.

Cheers,

Leon

March 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm #3

my router back home uses a WEP security. My cousin's uses a WPA2-Personal with TKIP security key. I can connect to both with no problem. My uncle's uses a WPA2-Personal with AES security key. I can select that and enter the security code but it won't identify the network.

Cameron Forester

-My mom

March 19th, 2012, 7:05 pm #4

my family and I are visiting my uncle in Nashville. I am trying to connect my laptop to my uncle's wireless Internet but it won't connect. My brother's will and has the exact same settings for the network. I've done everything I know to to do. When I connect to the modem, it shows unidentified network and between the network and Internet icon, it shows a red x. When I click it to diagnose the problem, it gives the options to automatically get IP address and to reset wireless adapter. I've done both with no luck. Anyone know what else to do?

Cameron Forester

-My mom
I assuming you see the network SSID and I hope your not using that same network SSID an another WIFI site you connect too
Anyway with you laptop WIFI off go in to manage WIFI networks and see if you have network SSID alreade defined..if so deleate it and then turn ou you wifi ..find the network you want and connect... it should ask for the password then connect...if not thier are other things to look for on his router config

March 19th, 2012, 9:13 pm #5

i tried your suggestion and ended up back where I was to begin with. Unidentified network (shows correct SSID) with no ability to connect to the Internet. What else should I look for?

Cameron Forester

-My mom

March 19th, 2012, 10:58 pm #6

switch it back on then see if your laptop detects the network. It might work!

Regards
Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andyksmodelblog.blogspot.com/