Composite squadron 8 (VC-8) insignia???

Composite squadron 8 (VC-8) insignia???

August 7th, 2012, 6:26 pm #1

Hi all,
I found these pictures the other day on the USS Guadalcanal Task Force Association website. I'm trying to figure out what the marking is on the cowl of these planes. It's the triangle with something inside it. It looks like it was on both sides of the cowl. I've tried looking up VC-8 squadron insignia in one form or another but I'm coming up blank. I'm going to try and contact the association later but thought I would see if any of you had any ideas.
Thanks.
Chris

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

August 7th, 2012, 8:49 pm #2

Wow! Was that squadron made up of the Navy's worst pilots or what!?

August 7th, 2012, 10:54 pm #3

I believe the first and last picture (F4Fs) were taken following attempted landings during some particularly hard seas during October 1944. The second picture (TBF) was during night carrier qualifications. Anyone that wants to attempt land a plane on a CVE during the day (much less at night or during high seas) has more nerve than I ever will.
Chris

August 8th, 2012, 10:58 am #4

Hi all,
I found these pictures the other day on the USS Guadalcanal Task Force Association website. I'm trying to figure out what the marking is on the cowl of these planes. It's the triangle with something inside it. It looks like it was on both sides of the cowl. I've tried looking up VC-8 squadron insignia in one form or another but I'm coming up blank. I'm going to try and contact the association later but thought I would see if any of you had any ideas.
Thanks.
Chris

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
"This End Up" sign? (Juuuust kidding--taking the opportunity for a joke with no disparagement intended.)

Stuart

August 8th, 2012, 1:21 pm #5

nt