Combat, the TV series

Combat, the TV series

June 26th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

I was wondering if the sound effects like Vic Morrow's Tommy gun and the M1 rifles were realistic or not. Also the MG42s.
Did they atually use the sounds from when Morrow fired his gun?

Owen

June 26th, 2012, 10:49 pm #2

Hollywood almost always gets the gun sounds wrong on everything, all the time. Real gun "BOOM!"s just don't sound dramatic enough, I guess.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

June 27th, 2012, 12:40 am #3

and don't forget all the ricochet sounds and sparks off non metallic surfaces

June 27th, 2012, 1:24 am #4

Amazing how now on TV, you can hear the brass hitting the ground, even on grass or snow or carpet. Sometimes even if the gun is a revolver. (I'm not making that up. Actually saw/heard it on Walking Dead last season.)

Kinda like the way TV car tires will squeal on rain-slicked streets, dirt roads, mud, etc.

The best movie I've ever seen for gun sounds was Heat. It was almost deafening on my TV at normal volume--it must have been spectacular in the theater.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

June 27th, 2012, 1:38 am #5

I was wondering if the sound effects like Vic Morrow's Tommy gun and the M1 rifles were realistic or not. Also the MG42s.

Owen
And I thought movies were real.

June 27th, 2012, 4:38 am #6

Owen
That's one of the reasons they always carried an extra barrel that was quickly and easily exchanged/replaced (probably quite regularly).

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

June 27th, 2012, 12:39 pm #7

and don't forget all the ricochet sounds and sparks off non metallic surfaces
Best (worst) one I saw was a low budget movie where the bad guys were shooting MAC 10s at the cops in a bakery. The cops took cover behind the big racks of bread and the bullets were sparking as they hit the bread. Musta been a day old bread store.

JR

June 27th, 2012, 12:40 pm #8

That's one of the reasons they always carried an extra barrel that was quickly and easily exchanged/replaced (probably quite regularly).

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -
I think the original Battle of Britain came close on the rate of fire on the German MGs in the He-111s.

June 27th, 2012, 12:56 pm #9

Owen
..look at the current movies where CGI is used to depict impossible, inhuman creatures who are then given unprocessed human voices.

David

June 27th, 2012, 4:55 pm #10

I think the original Battle of Britain came close on the rate of fire on the German MGs in the He-111s.
There are numerous vids on u2be of live MG42s firing, including one with "Gunny" Ermey. I like this one, with a young hottie using one to carve pumpkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yefU1Rt ... re=related

Sat Cong!