color Q' on NVAF Mig-21 Wheel bays

color Q' on NVAF Mig-21 Wheel bays

June 6th, 2012, 1:06 pm #1

I'm doing a late war North Viet Nam Mig-21PFV. The Fujimi instructions call for a hemp color. I'm sure these Mig's in hot tropical conditions were probably repainted or had special anti= weathering applications to them. Any suggestions as to what the gear bays color might be or has Fujimi got it right with hemp.

thanks for suggestions.

June 7th, 2012, 2:20 am #2

The VPAF MiGs left the factory painted silver for anti-corrosion protection. The wheel wells were undoubtedly painted there as well, and there seems to be some consensus (at least a little) that there was a color not dissimilar to RLM 02. Many earlier MiG wheel wells were in a darkish medium grey, and I've seen pics of MiG-21s with wheel wells ranging from bare aluminum to electric blue, so almost anything goes. I'd say "hemp" is likely their take on the grey-green color mentioned above. Upshot is, it's doubtful anyone knows for absolute certain.

June 7th, 2012, 11:16 am #3

Hi Pete, thanks for the input. I think I'll add just a drop or two of some light brown to 02 and go for it. Would You have any suggestions on My other Q regarding -21 drop tanks?.

Regards, Tim

June 8th, 2012, 1:39 pm #4

The VPAF MiGs left the factory painted silver for anti-corrosion protection. The wheel wells were undoubtedly painted there as well, and there seems to be some consensus (at least a little) that there was a color not dissimilar to RLM 02. Many earlier MiG wheel wells were in a darkish medium grey, and I've seen pics of MiG-21s with wheel wells ranging from bare aluminum to electric blue, so almost anything goes. I'd say "hemp" is likely their take on the grey-green color mentioned above. Upshot is, it's doubtful anyone knows for absolute certain.
is that MiG-21s were often clear-coated over natural metal for anti-corrosion, too. Silver painting was evidentaly done, though thats tough to pass off on a model It tends to look like a half-assed attempt at a NMF. The clear coating ages to a yellow.

June 8th, 2012, 5:45 pm #5

I'm doing a late war North Viet Nam Mig-21PFV. The Fujimi instructions call for a hemp color. I'm sure these Mig's in hot tropical conditions were probably repainted or had special anti= weathering applications to them. Any suggestions as to what the gear bays color might be or has Fujimi got it right with hemp.

thanks for suggestions.
I took this picture last week at the Glendale, AZ airport.

Yep, there's a MiG-21 parked there. Not Vietnamese, but the color seems to agree with Pete's version.

Jim

Not everything has changed - only the important stuff. - Charles Stross
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

June 9th, 2012, 1:51 am #6

thanks for suggestions.
Thank You John and Jim

June 9th, 2012, 3:58 am #7

...Soviet aircraft, you get a lot of leeway for artistic impression, compounded by your own interpretations of scale effect and weathering. Soviet color specs were different than what we call 'specs' in the west. Tones varied, and color specs typically referred to color distribution by percentage coverage as opposed to the actual shade of color. My impression is that how much of the aircraft the color covered and the chemical makeup of the paint were more important than maintaining a tone match to a high standard. My discussions with the good people at Aviaeology have been very interesting on this matter. JB