Collings F-100F Rollout and Col Bud Day

Collings F-100F Rollout and Col Bud Day

March 30th, 2011, 7:20 pm #1

The Collings Foundation's new F-100F had its official rollout ceremony yesterday at Ellington Field in Houston, Tx. The ragged ceiling was down to 1000 or less most of the day so the planned 4 ship of the Collings F-100, F-4, TA-4 and T-33 camera ship did not take place. Late in the afternoon Col Day did get a short ride around the EFD pattern with F-100 pilot Charlie Friend in the front seat. Below are a couple of my cell phone pix. Watch on WIX or some of the other internet sites for some good pictures. There were several pro and semi-pro photographers shooting all day.

The practice flight did take place late on Monday. I saw some of the early photos and the afterburner plumes were really lit up due to the overcast and low light at 7:20 pm when they flew. (Maintenance issues with the T-33 and F-100 delayed the flight). I'll post more if/when I get them.

F-100F arrival at EFD 3/19/11. Taxiing to parking, note drag chute.
[/IMG]

F-100F delivery to Collings Foundation at Ellington 3/19/11.
[/IMG]

F-100F with Charlie Friend in front and Col Bud Day in back. Ready to fly 3/29/11.
[/IMG]

Charlie Friend (left) and Bud Day (right) after a flight in the Collings Foundation F-100F. Misty 1 rides again!
[/IMG]

March 30th, 2011, 7:56 pm #2

A couple of major modelling notes I have noticed on the Collings F-100F. I am a volunteer here in Housotn so I've been hands on the jet several times this past week.

The seats are not the original models that came in the jet. This one is a former Danish Air Force jet and has been refitted at some point in the past with early version Martin Baker seats. Someone told me they are Mk 5's, but I have not confirmed that. They have similar components to the F-4 seats (Mk 7), but the harness set up is totally different.

The wing tip pods were noted in the previous post showing the jet's paint process. These are also Danish additions.

The bare metal area on the tail is not in the pattern I have seen in references. Not sure why they did it like this, but it is what it is.

The tail code "SS" is in light grey. The "951" is white.

The afterburner is the later mod using the F-102 or 106 nozzle config. (Can't remember which, but it's the lumpy one.)

The drag chute housing is under the engine/tail, but the main riser connection is above the nozzle at the base of the vertical fin. The steel riser is routed under some metal "fingers" around the left rear just ahead of the nozzle. When the chute is deployed it pulls the riser out from under the fingers and remains attached above the nozzle.

If anyone needs detail photos let me know. Or come visit Houston see the jets up close.

Later,
Mark V

March 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm #3

Do you know if there are any plans to replace the Danish wing tips with unmodified ones, or is that more trouble & $$$ than its worth? I'm sure they'll keep the MB Mk 5s, since they're better than the original NAA seats.

Also, YOU LUCKY SONOFAGUN!!! Getting to mess with a live F-100!!

Cheers!

Ben
Last edited by bebrown1 on March 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 30th, 2011, 8:48 pm #4

The Collings Foundation's new F-100F had its official rollout ceremony yesterday at Ellington Field in Houston, Tx. The ragged ceiling was down to 1000 or less most of the day so the planned 4 ship of the Collings F-100, F-4, TA-4 and T-33 camera ship did not take place. Late in the afternoon Col Day did get a short ride around the EFD pattern with F-100 pilot Charlie Friend in the front seat. Below are a couple of my cell phone pix. Watch on WIX or some of the other internet sites for some good pictures. There were several pro and semi-pro photographers shooting all day.

The practice flight did take place late on Monday. I saw some of the early photos and the afterburner plumes were really lit up due to the overcast and low light at 7:20 pm when they flew. (Maintenance issues with the T-33 and F-100 delayed the flight). I'll post more if/when I get them.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

F-100F with Charlie Friend in front and Col Bud Day in back. Ready to fly 3/29/11.
[/IMG]

Charlie Friend (left) and Bud Day (right) after a flight in the Collings Foundation F-100F. Misty 1 rides again!
[/IMG]
I'd be interested in hearing what training went into getting the pilots current in the F-100. How much preparation he went through to fly it again?

Also, anyone hear if there is any progress being made on getting a Collins Foundation F-105?

Corey

March 30th, 2011, 9:28 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Darn Good Images for Cell Phone !! nt

March 31st, 2011, 2:19 pm #6

In answer to some of the questions above:
No plans to change anything on the a/c. The tip pods are actually a small problem since they make it an even tighter fit parking the jet in the hangar. But the cost to remove them and find clean tips would probably not make it worthwhile.

Col Day had a briefing from the pilot the day prior to the flight where they went over the flight plan and some aircraft refresher. Col Day flew in the Collings P-51 about 3 weeks ago so he was "checked out" in the air.

The pilot, Charlie Friend, flies for Tracor or BAE, one of those companies in the desert SW that flew F-100 drones and test aircraft. I'm not sure how his name came up but he's one of the most experienced F-100 guys still flying. Nice guy, very modest, and very helpful in teaching us about the jet. We have a couple of local pilots getting checked out by Charlie. They will fly with our local FAA flight examiner to get their type rating signed off.

A couple of other model notes:
No wing fences. Not sure if the F model had them, but this one doesn't.
The leading edge slats are free floating like on the TA-4, so they are out/open on the ground. There are small pip pin holes through them to lock them in/up so we don't knock our heads on the corners when working around the jet.

April 1st, 2011, 3:35 am #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The B-17, B-24, B-25 & P-51B/C for annual overhauls. Never they're jets. Must be the runway at New Smyrna Beach won't accommodate the longer take-off/landing requirements needed. Bummer.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -