Cockpit Detailing.

Cockpit Detailing.

May 2nd, 2012, 2:51 pm #1

Browsing the galleries I see the QF-4 of David Aungst and can't believe he did the cockpit scratch. I have been getting back into the hobby and improving my skills from long ago through reading and research and practice. I understand how folks detail interiors with strip, sheet and rod but to look at his cockpit I have to ask what does one use to make all those switches and knobs and circuit breakers?? (Besides an enormous magnifiying glass). Truly impressive work and a level of skill I can work towards.

May 2nd, 2012, 3:20 pm #2

my scratchbuilding work.

I did most of the scratchbuilt patterns for Cutting Edge/Meteor Productions, True Details, Jaguar, plus some other guys stuff thrown in there.

Magnifying glass or glasses make me dizzy/sick.
It's pure raw eyesight for me and yes I am 42.

I use Waldron punch and dies, Plastruct white styrene rod and Evergreen white styrene strips, plus plain old sheet plastic for most of my pattern work.

This combinied with a lot of patience and a very steady hand.

Sincerely
Scotty Battistoni
Master pattern maker

May 2nd, 2012, 4:01 pm #3

Like you, my eyes were fine until I was about 44. The decline over the last 5 years has been impressive.

I'm now using bi-focals, an optivisor, and as much light as I can possibly cram over my bench!

While your eyes may not do the same, I'd still say enjoy it while you can!

Mike

May 2nd, 2012, 4:23 pm #4

I'm 43 and my near vision started going to crap about a year and a half ago. Now I use reading glasses when working on models. 1.50 power works good for me. My far vision is still excellent.

Roy

May 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm #5

my scratchbuilding work.

I did most of the scratchbuilt patterns for Cutting Edge/Meteor Productions, True Details, Jaguar, plus some other guys stuff thrown in there.

I use Waldron punch and dies, Plastruct white styrene rod and Evergreen white styrene strips, plus plain old sheet plastic for most of my pattern work.

Sincerely
Scotty Battistoni
Master pattern maker
n/m

May 2nd, 2012, 4:44 pm #6

my scratchbuilding work.

Sincerely
Scotty Battistoni
Master pattern maker
....I'm certifiably nuts.

May 2nd, 2012, 4:57 pm #7

Like you, my eyes were fine until I was about 44. The decline over the last 5 years has been impressive.

I'm now using bi-focals, an optivisor, and as much light as I can possibly cram over my bench!

Mike
I'm 45 and I think that is the sign for me that things are starting to go.

My vision is still better than 20/20 for distance and I have had no problems with any detailing EXCEPT that I find that I need brighter light to assist with contrast.

May 2nd, 2012, 5:45 pm #8

n/m
Resistance is futile! :) n/t

May 2nd, 2012, 6:34 pm #9

Mike
59 and I don't need more than a lot of light to deal with 1/72 detail in a cockpit. I don't much like doing it, but when I do it, it works out well. It's good that there are tools like Optivisors for those who need them--luckily, I'm exempt to this point.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

May 2nd, 2012, 8:14 pm #10

Browsing the galleries I see the QF-4 of David Aungst and can't believe he did the cockpit scratch. I have been getting back into the hobby and improving my skills from long ago through reading and research and practice. I understand how folks detail interiors with strip, sheet and rod but to look at his cockpit I have to ask what does one use to make all those switches and knobs and circuit breakers?? (Besides an enormous magnifiying glass). Truly impressive work and a level of skill I can work towards.
what seemed decent work was not so grand once those digicam shots were blown up to full screen.

I bought a desk mounted lamp/magnifying window, and the quality of the fime details improved quite a bit.

It was like I was a teen again (in some ways...)