Cockpit Color on the Ki-61 Hien??????????????

Cockpit Color on the Ki-61 Hien??????????????

April 9th, 2012, 8:56 pm #1

I have the Hasegawa 32nd scale kit and am doing it up in Kobayashi's markings over Bare Metal Foil. The instructions call for a light yellow / sand color overall cockpit interior with certain panels and boxes in black. But I was looking through research last night and Don Thorpe's classic on Japanese Army Aircraft published by Aero Books says the cockpit color is that metallic blue green. I always thought the metallic blue and the metallic green were for Japanese navy stuff and the army stuff was different, based on the factory where the plane was manufactured. I have other volumes I'm going to hit when I get back home from the office tonight; they should answer the question. Any definitive thoughts in the meantime (I should probably know this...) Thanks, Steve

April 9th, 2012, 9:02 pm #2

Tan, green, aotaki, or a funky light blue ...

April 9th, 2012, 9:36 pm #3

I think it goes more by manufacturer than anything else. Most references I came across online when I was building the cockpit on my Hein pointed to an earthy brown, so i just used something I had handy and looked approximate. That was a while ago and Id be lying to say I know where those were all found, but j-aircraft.com is an excellent place to look for such info.

April 9th, 2012, 10:43 pm #4

Just because of the pics of the Hein interior IN the Mekish Japanese interiors book. I'm not sure if there is any true consensus about which is absolutely correct.

April 9th, 2012, 10:45 pm #5

I have the Hasegawa 32nd scale kit and am doing it up in Kobayashi's markings over Bare Metal Foil. The instructions call for a light yellow / sand color overall cockpit interior with certain panels and boxes in black. But I was looking through research last night and Don Thorpe's classic on Japanese Army Aircraft published by Aero Books says the cockpit color is that metallic blue green. I always thought the metallic blue and the metallic green were for Japanese navy stuff and the army stuff was different, based on the factory where the plane was manufactured. I have other volumes I'm going to hit when I get back home from the office tonight; they should answer the question. Any definitive thoughts in the meantime (I should probably know this...) Thanks, Steve
Do a google search for "RLM 79 Ki-61" and you'll find a lot of articles on it.

Whether one company's RLM 79 is better than another company's is just to damn nit-picky for me.

http://agapemodels.com/?p=1995

April 9th, 2012, 11:00 pm #6

The consensus now is that the Hien's cockpit was a yellow-brown or sand color (not light yellow) overall, with some details in other colors. Robert Mikesh's excellent Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945 (Monogram Aviation Publications [USA], 2001; 328 pages) suggests -- but does not state categorically -- that the Ki-61's cockpit may have been the tan color labeled "A35" in his color chart, which looks a lot like RLM 79 to me.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

April 10th, 2012, 1:00 am #7

I have access to a nicely preserved Ki61 control stick, and the colour match, as close to perfect, is Gunzes RLM 79 sand

I consider this information to be definitive for a Ki61 ( but not necessarily correct for a Ki100)

April 10th, 2012, 2:43 am #8

Gosharoonie Dave!!! If it causes so much stress then don't reply; cheers mate... :-)

April 10th, 2012, 4:38 am #9

maybe I should do a HS article on it so its easily searched in the database?

April 10th, 2012, 5:22 am #10

I have access to a nicely preserved Ki61 control stick, and the colour match, as close to perfect, is Gunzes RLM 79 sand

I consider this information to be definitive for a Ki61 ( but not necessarily correct for a Ki100)
You SAW ONE piece from UNKNOWN airframe a this is DEFINITIVE proof
how Ki-61 cockpits were painted?
That's pretty bald, to say at least.
You know about IJAAF paint standards though I presume?