Chipmunk Rides A Mustang To Harvard Pt4

Chipmunk Rides A Mustang To Harvard Pt4

June 20th, 2012, 2:12 pm #1

The nice thing about summer is the warm weather and getting outdoors after a long, dreary winter. The bad thing: less time for modelling! Geesh. Still, the Preston Aircraft Works factory crew has made some progress on the postwar RCAF trio of builds. The DH Chipmunk now has a coat of primer to cover up the filler needed to fair in the wings to the fuselage, and its looking pretty smooth:

The Canadian version of the Chipmunk has a different landing gear configuration than its kit-supplied British counterpart. Various bits of plastic rod were used to replicate the RCAF straight-leg version, using the kit part as a guide for size:

The final result, with some armature wire for the brake lines, came off pretty well, methinks:

Bits of stretched sprue and sheet plastic were used for the teeny flap actuators and tie down loops on the underside:

Turning to the Harvard work bay, the aircraft needed more putty to smooth out the forward wing joints:

The engine is a straight forward paint job, really. I hacked off the pushrods from the engine ignition loop, and added tiny bits of armature wire for the ignition wires. I'm not sure I'll replace the pushrods, because when the cowl is on, the whole works looks good without the pushrods:

This Harvard is being built as a member of the RCAF Goldilocks aerobatic team, circa 1964. An exhaust heat shield and smoke discharger line need to be added:

The Mustang has her wings added, and the wing joins needed a wee bit of filler. This was sanded smooth very carefully to preserve the nice, delicate raised panel lines on the wings:

The prop boss is another story. Jeez - there's a bucket of Bondo required to smooth out this baby:

Well, that's it so far on these builds. Next up is preparing all the props and other fiddly bits before installing and masking canopies.
Caio, y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

June 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

...wonderful work, Ted. Hope [and trust] they'll all end up Winners.
--Bill
Last edited by Retoff on June 20th, 2012, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 10:29 pm #3

The nice thing about summer is the warm weather and getting outdoors after a long, dreary winter. The bad thing: less time for modelling! Geesh. Still, the Preston Aircraft Works factory crew has made some progress on the postwar RCAF trio of builds. The DH Chipmunk now has a coat of primer to cover up the filler needed to fair in the wings to the fuselage, and its looking pretty smooth:

The Canadian version of the Chipmunk has a different landing gear configuration than its kit-supplied British counterpart. Various bits of plastic rod were used to replicate the RCAF straight-leg version, using the kit part as a guide for size:

The final result, with some armature wire for the brake lines, came off pretty well, methinks:

Bits of stretched sprue and sheet plastic were used for the teeny flap actuators and tie down loops on the underside:

Turning to the Harvard work bay, the aircraft needed more putty to smooth out the forward wing joints:

The engine is a straight forward paint job, really. I hacked off the pushrods from the engine ignition loop, and added tiny bits of armature wire for the ignition wires. I'm not sure I'll replace the pushrods, because when the cowl is on, the whole works looks good without the pushrods:

This Harvard is being built as a member of the RCAF Goldilocks aerobatic team, circa 1964. An exhaust heat shield and smoke discharger line need to be added:

The Mustang has her wings added, and the wing joins needed a wee bit of filler. This was sanded smooth very carefully to preserve the nice, delicate raised panel lines on the wings:

The prop boss is another story. Jeez - there's a bucket of Bondo required to smooth out this baby:

Well, that's it so far on these builds. Next up is preparing all the props and other fiddly bits before installing and masking canopies.
Caio, y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish
But I'm with you on the summer thing - I think more then half of my "workers" are on vacation

Nice work - especially on the Chipmunk and that undercarriage, I didn't know it was different, good I build mine as a Belgian demo version

That Mustang spinner surely needs work, bit I think it's do-able

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Supporting Euro 2012 / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 21st, 2012, 2:01 am #4

...wonderful work, Ted. Hope [and trust] they'll all end up Winners.
--Bill
Thanks for the comments! As for being winners, well, I don't know - but they've been on my modelling bucket list for a long time and by gum they're goin' on the shelf no matter what!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3; Postwar RCAF Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

June 21st, 2012, 2:04 am #5

But I'm with you on the summer thing - I think more then half of my "workers" are on vacation

Nice work - especially on the Chipmunk and that undercarriage, I didn't know it was different, good I build mine as a Belgian demo version

That Mustang spinner surely needs work, bit I think it's do-able

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Supporting Euro 2012 / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
"...and the livin' is easy..." Or so the popular 1960's song goes. Ah William, I'm giving up on my garden work and going for the gusto on my model builds! Beer and plastic - what a great summer combination! Ha!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3; Postwar RCAF Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

June 21st, 2012, 3:55 pm #6

Caio, y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Excellent work as usual. You sure don't disappoint with your posts! Kepup the good work.

June 23rd, 2012, 2:55 pm #8

Lovely as always Ted. I know what you mean about summertime, so much to do. I love the little cart in the first photo, it really looks like your "crew" just wheeled the model out for the photo...

June 24th, 2012, 1:24 am #9

Caio, y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
A little late joining this but I have to admit that one of the things I like about your builds is that I get a sudden impulse to head down to my dirt floored shop and sit down (in a chair not on the dirt!) and have a go at my on going projects.

The Mustang is a bit of an "okay" to me...but I assume I'll like your build and markings BUT the Chipmunk and the Harvard...two of my loves (well except it should be SNJ) but I'll let that slide for you north of the border types.

Don't get me wrong...I like Mustangs but the Marine side of WW II fighters is where my heart gets broken.

Beautiful work so far and I really enjoy the whole process that you show on your builds. Keep on truckin!

June 26th, 2012, 12:18 am #10

Caio, y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
That way you can enjoy summer! Nice work as always pal.

Cheers, Vic