CF-104 ejection seat question

CF-104 ejection seat question

June 25th, 2012, 8:54 pm #1

I'm not too used to building aircraft without props but I am trying to build the black
CF-104 using a Hasegawa kit (1/48). Question: why are there no handles on the top of the ejection seat? I thought that by that period of time they were universal. Thanks.

June 25th, 2012, 10:46 pm #2

The CF104 used the Lockheed C-2 seat which had the handle on the front of the seat. It was painted yellow with black stripes.

June 27th, 2012, 12:40 am #3

I'm not too used to building aircraft without props but I am trying to build the black
CF-104 using a Hasegawa kit (1/48). Question: why are there no handles on the top of the ejection seat? I thought that by that period of time they were universal. Thanks.
The top of headrest handles were pretty much a Navy thing during the 1950s. The handle usually included a face curtain that pulled down over the face to protect against wind blast.
Air Force seats during this time frame initiated ejection by either pulling up on the arm rest to expose the triggers for canopy release and ejection, or the front of the seat pull ring as shown on the C-2 seat.
Until the Martin Baker seats become pretty much standard, most a/c manufacturers developed their own seat for each a/c.
I think the F-4, which the Air Force started taking delivery of in the early 1960's was the first Air Force a/c to use the Martin Baker seat with the top of headrest handle, and without getting into the references, I seem to remember that the M-B seats had an alternate seat activation handle on the seat pan.