Can these books be salvaged? (pics)

Can these books be salvaged? (pics)

March 20th, 2012, 9:34 pm #1

I guess my storage unit isn't quite as dry as I thought it was. 8-(
Can these Air Classics Quarterly Reviews by salvaged?
While you can't see it on the tan book with the Staggerwing on the cover, as it was at the top of the stack, I'm sure it's at least got mildew on the back.

I need a method for taking care of this that I can use at home, I really can't afford to take these to a professional book restoration business.

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Last edited by Don McIntyre on March 20th, 2012, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

March 20th, 2012, 9:47 pm #2

If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

March 20th, 2012, 9:48 pm #3

While you can't see it on the tan book with the Staggerwing on the cover, as it was at the top of the stack, I'm sure it's at least got mildew on the back.

I need a method for taking care of this that I can use at home, I really can't afford to take these to a professional book restoration business.

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Just wipe it down with a damp rag and keep the books out of moist places from now on. If the pages are damaged, carefully wiping them down with a very dry-ish damp cloth, allow to dry, then keep them out of moist places. The book might not last forever, but then neither will you.

March 20th, 2012, 10:04 pm #4

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

This will kill mildew spores as well as removing the mildew fungus, and shouldn't harm the covers. Try somewhere less visible first, like the inside edge of the cover. Avoid using bleach or chlorine, which can cause irreparable damage. Then put the books somewhere dry, in sunshine, or near a dehumidifier, to gently dry out any moisture that will encourage further mildew formation.

March 20th, 2012, 10:14 pm #5

Just wipe it down with a damp rag and keep the books out of moist places from now on. If the pages are damaged, carefully wiping them down with a very dry-ish damp cloth, allow to dry, then keep them out of moist places. The book might not last forever, but then neither will you.
also...

Never back a bookshelf up against a bare brick or concrete wall. Leave a space and make sure there is air circulating especially if in a basement with moisture issues.

This time of year when the cold concrete is exposed to warm moist ambient air, its a perfect time for moisture to wick onto and into the books, magazines and other paper items (kit boxes!). In time, mold will develop. I run a fan to keep air moving for this short period until the air condition is switched on. Which this year will be just a couple of days from now. :0(

March 20th, 2012, 10:27 pm #6

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

You might try the rice method. I had heard about it being used to dry out digital cameras so I did a bit of searching to see if anyone had tried it with books. I found this... http://www.improvisedlife.com/2010/08/3 ... with-rice/

http://david-j-ross.smugmug.com/

March 20th, 2012, 10:32 pm #7

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

the suggestions given by the others could really cause unfixable damage (especially the bleach idea). There are conservators (just google book restoration or conservators) but they aren't really cheap. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

March 20th, 2012, 10:47 pm #8

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

I bought some Clorox disinfectant wipes and wiped all the mold off and made sure to move the books into a dryer climate. Didn't have any negative effects on the books and haven't had any mold return on them. Not saying it's the best solution in this case, but it worked for me.

Zack

March 20th, 2012, 11:09 pm #9

the suggestions given by the others could really cause unfixable damage (especially the bleach idea). There are conservators (just google book restoration or conservators) but they aren't really cheap. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!
I've had numerous books get mildew on the covers, and simply wiping it off with a damp rag fixed the problem. If the book isn't damaged, but simply has some surface mildew on it, it's a very easy, and free fix.

March 21st, 2012, 12:58 am #10

(sigh)

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

All these are great suggestions. If you do those things and still want help, go to your local library and ask for whoever does book repairs. They might be able to help.
I'm a librarian and would at least try if you brought them to me.

Good luck.
Rick