Can the newer GWH P-61A be built as a P-61B?

Can the newer GWH P-61A be built as a P-61B?

May 24th, 2012, 3:22 pm #1

It appears that the main difference between the A and B models was the type and length of nose cone. Can this second issue of the GWH P-61 with the turret be built as a "B" model if a particular decal scheme calls for it?

I did some searching on PT but didn't see a whole lot about the issue.

Terry, where are you?

TIA

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606

May 24th, 2012, 4:22 pm #2

then you can use that.

Scroll down nearly all the way.

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/conversions-1-48.html

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

May 24th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606

May 24th, 2012, 4:35 pm #4

It is quite different from the A. Putting decals for a B model on an A,means you have an A that has incorrect markings. But if it is OK for you, then....

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
Last edited by modeldad on May 24th, 2012, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 24th, 2012, 4:43 pm #5

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606
Top is GW A nose, middle is Monogram A nose (which is more accurate) and bottom is Monogram B nose.

A nose:

B Nose:

BUY THIS BOOK
Last edited by modeldad on May 24th, 2012, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 24th, 2012, 4:56 pm #6

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606

May 24th, 2012, 6:18 pm #7

It appears that the main difference between the A and B models was the type and length of nose cone. Can this second issue of the GWH P-61 with the turret be built as a "B" model if a particular decal scheme calls for it?

I did some searching on PT but didn't see a whole lot about the issue.

Terry, where are you?

TIA

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606
As Steve said, either rob one out of an RM kit, get one from Mike West or find some one who has an extra "B" nose from an RM kit/ The other thing you will need to do is close the main gear doors except for a small door for the gear strut.(ala B-25. I may have an extra "B" nose or two laying around. E-mail me for further details.

Cheers, Terry

May 24th, 2012, 6:22 pm #8

was wondering whether I should go ahead and purchase one or wait until GWH releases a "B" model to give me the most choices. It looks like the "C" was produced in such small numbers that the likelihood of that release is pretty low.

Decal schemes will probably drive my decision and I definitely am looking for one of the black beauties, probably Pacific theatre.

Regards,

Brian Hahn
Abilene, Texas 79606
Last edited by Brian Hahn on May 24th, 2012, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 24th, 2012, 9:53 pm #9

GWH has plans to release a "C" model and possibly an F-15A Reporter(this one I'm not real sure about- - yet.) I'm not within reach of my refs right now but, I think there was a pretty fair number of "C" model built. There were only about 36-38 F-15A Reporters built before production was canceled at war's end.
The vast majority of Pacific based P-61s didn't carry the turret, they had a solid, fixed mount in place of the turrets. The 6th, 421st and 548th NFS's all had,except for one or two exceptions, had fixed upper guns. A veteran of the 421st told me that one of the very few times they got an aircraft with the turret that they just looked at each other and said "What the Hell do we do with that????".
I have a gun cover for the fixed installation but, I'm redesigning it to get the shape right.

Cheers, Terry

May 25th, 2012, 5:50 am #10

Top is GW A nose, middle is Monogram A nose (which is more accurate) and bottom is Monogram B nose.

A nose:

B Nose:

BUY THIS BOOK
When did Monogram add recessed panel lines?

Also, according to Brett the latest release has a revised nose.

"The new clear nose is not the same as the "review-sample only" version that was supplied last year. It is frosted, and appears to have been revised in shape and length."