Can tamiya's 32nd Mustang be built in a OD/Neutral Gray scheme?

Can tamiya's 32nd Mustang be built in a OD/Neutral Gray scheme?

July 31st, 2011, 2:08 am #1

Guys,
I build armor and this is a great looking kit, but natural metal scares me-so can it be built in OD out of the box?
Thanks, Dan

July 31st, 2011, 2:13 am #2

Doesn't have to NMF. Lotsa choices out there.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

July 31st, 2011, 2:14 am #3

Guys,
I build armor and this is a great looking kit, but natural metal scares me-so can it be built in OD out of the box?
Thanks, Dan
but the 357th FG and some other units painted their aircraft in the field in dark green and grey.

He's crazy, Lou- He builds toy aeroplanes!

July 31st, 2011, 2:16 am #4

Guys,
Thanks, Dan
The kit itself could be painted OD (There likely will be some AM decals that feature it this way)
The good news is that you won't have to change anything in the kit - just get new markings.

But the kit supplied markings are only for NMF (or mostly NMF) birds.

Frank

July 31st, 2011, 2:25 am #5

if you would have to tweak the kit however. Just the nat'l insignia on the prototype IIRC
Last edited by pat9d on July 31st, 2011, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2011, 2:30 am #6

The "prototype D" was a B/C airframe with the D-type canopy and decking. (Different wing, front-end paneling, etc.)

I've read that the first six production Ds were actually razorbacks, but have never found a photo of one to confirm.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

July 31st, 2011, 2:37 am #7

Why was the crank angle of the leading edge at the wingroot changed on the D. Aerodynamics to get more wing area? Landing gear changes? TIA, Pat D

July 31st, 2011, 2:39 am #8

if you would have to tweak the kit however. Just the nat'l insignia on the prototype IIRC
they were painted in the field by the Groups. They arrived in NMF and were painted Green over grey (and not always OD green)

Clarence Anderson's OLD CROW was painted like this (and certainly Yeagers bird as well)

But none of those markings are in the box - he will have to get AM markings or something.

July 31st, 2011, 2:42 am #9

Why was the crank angle of the leading edge at the wingroot changed on the D. Aerodynamics to get more wing area? Landing gear changes? TIA, Pat D

July 31st, 2011, 2:42 am #10

Guys,
Thanks, Dan
You have several options.

*Silver-painted postwar or Korean war example. (Floquil Old Silver or Pewter looks fabulous and is VERY easy to apply.)

*Dark Green/Gray 357FG--many to choose from.

*Howard "Deacon" Hively's OD/NG of 4FG.

*RAF camo paint.

*Israeli camo.

*Domincan AF camo of the '70s-'80s.

*Civilian warbird or racer.

There are probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!