Can someone help confirm the name on this 79th FG P-40?

Can someone help confirm the name on this 79th FG P-40?

March 17th, 2012, 3:46 pm #1

"Sammy?" "Sahara?" "Santana?"...any other ideas?

[/IMG]

Here's another photograph, which I'm trying to determine if it could be of the same aircraft. To me, this name definitely appears to be "Sammy." Note the numerals '27' on the landing gear "knuckle." I wonder if this might be the plane's code number, which would appear on the fuselage and matches the range for those aircraft assigned to the 85th FS. Unfortunately I have no photograph to confirm this.

[/IMG]

TIA for any help!

Mark

March 17th, 2012, 4:17 pm #2

In one shot, seems to match lighter camo color, in the other it seems to match the darker of the two.
Radio mast on second photo missing in the first. I wold have thought the number "27" would have appeared on both "knuckles".
I'm going with Sahara on the first and Sammy on the second.
Would there be only one mirror on canopy?
HTH...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on March 17th, 2012, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm #3

[/IMG]

Here's another photograph, which I'm trying to determine if it could be of the same aircraft. To me, this name definitely appears to be "Sammy." Note the numerals '27' on the landing gear "knuckle." I wonder if this might be the plane's code number, which would appear on the fuselage and matches the range for those aircraft assigned to the 85th FS. Unfortunately I have no photograph to confirm this.

[/IMG]

TIA for any help!

Mark
http://www.cieldegloire.com/fg_079.php

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
Last edited by junkman3353 on March 17th, 2012, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 5:09 pm #4

In one shot, seems to match lighter camo color, in the other it seems to match the darker of the two.
Radio mast on second photo missing in the first. I wold have thought the number "27" would have appeared on both "knuckles".
HTH...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Different film possibly?

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.

March 17th, 2012, 5:51 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

TIA for any help!

Mark
Second aircraft is more than likely "White X*27". Osprey's P-40 Aces of the MTO has a picture of "Slinkeroo", can't see a number, and side profiles of "White X*21", named "Santana" above port exhaust, and "Lee's Hope", "White X*17".

March 17th, 2012, 10:20 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

TIA for any help!

Mark
the name on the lower aircraft looks very much like "Stormy".

HTH

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com

March 18th, 2012, 12:21 am #7

HTH...

Thanks,
Allan

Thanks for the input, Allan. Regarding the radio mast, when I enlarge the first photograph, I believe I can see a radio mast. I'm thinking that the photo is at such an angle, and the way the sun is hitting the mast, that makes it so difficult to see. However, this might be wishful thinking on my part, or some other optical illusion or film defect playing tricks with my mind (which is very easy to do!).

My initial impression was "Sahara" and "Sammy" as well.

Thanks!

Mark

March 18th, 2012, 12:24 am #8

Different film possibly?

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.
Especially if we're talking the same aircraft. However, if we are talking different ones (likely if the names are different), then it could be due to the spinner colors.

Thanks!

Mark

March 18th, 2012, 12:26 am #9

http://www.cieldegloire.com/fg_079.php

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
Unfortunately, so far it's not helped too much...but I'll continue to check it out.

Regards,

Mark

March 18th, 2012, 12:36 am #10

Second aircraft is more than likely "White X*27". Osprey's P-40 Aces of the MTO has a picture of "Slinkeroo", can't see a number, and side profiles of "White X*21", named "Santana" above port exhaust, and "Lee's Hope", "White X*17".
X27 would make sense. Regarding X21, based on some photographs and other information I have, I'm beginning to doubt that this was Sammy Say's P-40. I think X11 is a better candidate. I'm also a bit curious about the name "Santana." The profile has it above the exhaust stacks, and based on the photos I've seen most if not all 85th FS P-40s have any names below the stacks...one reason why I was wondering if the name on one of P-40s in the photos I posted might be "Santana" (which I doubt).

Thanks!

Mark