Can one make a Yellow Wing Devastator from the new Great Wall kit?

Can one make a Yellow Wing Devastator from the new Great Wall kit?

April 1st, 2012, 1:01 am #1

I'll probably pick one up, but the Midway schemes in the kit kinda leave me flat. I know next to nothing about the TBD - would I have to modify the Great Wall kit at all if I were to do it up in yellow wing markings?

Cheers,
Tony

April 1st, 2012, 1:20 am #2

for the rear gunner, and a Yellow-Wings decal set, all else is the same. If you can wait I'm sure new boxings are coming.

April 1st, 2012, 1:21 am #3

I'll probably pick one up, but the Midway schemes in the kit kinda leave me flat. I know next to nothing about the TBD - would I have to modify the Great Wall kit at all if I were to do it up in yellow wing markings?

Cheers,
Tony
Only difference is the colors and markings.

I have an extra set of floats if you really want to do something different.

Cheers
Mike

"You cannot believe every quote you read on the internet". - Abraham Lincoln

April 1st, 2012, 1:34 am #4

for the rear gunner, and a Yellow-Wings decal set, all else is the same. If you can wait I'm sure new boxings are coming.
in the kit I have.

Cheers, Terry

April 1st, 2012, 2:11 am #5

Cheers,
Tony
The current VT-8 release has, as noted, the twin gun mount. It also has the fuselage doors for the twin gun mount (the hinged openings just aft of the gun position that allow stowage). For most TBD's, and certainly the prewar aircraft, these stowage doors are only the width necessary for a single barrel. Simple solution - measure from the existing hinge line halfway to the fuselage seam on each fuselage half. Scribe a fairly deep line (same length as the existing doors) on each fuselage half. Then eradicate the kit hinge (and the excess panel line at the end of the opening) and lay a length of stretched sprue into the lines you just scribed, to represent the hinges. If you run liquid cement over the sprue before you lay it in, you can make it more hinge-like by carefully tapping the soft sprue with a new #11 blade. See [img]http://tbd_devastator.tripod.com/tbd/tbd.11646.guntunnel.jpg[/img] from Lynn Ritger's site.

There's one other thing that turns up on some yellow-wing TBD's. The normal forward fixed weapon was a .30 machine gun. This was mounted in the right fuselage side. However, some TBD's (I've seen it mostly with VT-2 and -6) had .50's mounted for some period of time. Apparently BuAer thought better of it and changed things back to a .30, but when the .50 was carried, there was a bigger fairing necessary. Instead of the small teardrop shaped bump just about the right side intake, there was a larger kidney shape - see
which could be cobbled out of putty or a shape made and vacuformed. This isn't standard most of the time, but if you're doing a particular aircraft, keep an eye out for it.

April 1st, 2012, 2:24 am #6

Are you convinced TBDs had the twin gun doors? IIRC SBDs initially got 'slide-in' doors to mod single gun aircraft for the twins, and later got the upper twin doors (to invent a name for them) as a production mod.

Reinforcing my opinion is at least one photo of a TBD taking off on June 4 (VT-8, perhaps?) with the twin guns out and facing forward. I opine this was to allow the gunner to face forward for take-off. This implies the twins on this aircraft at least could not be stowed internally at all.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

April 1st, 2012, 2:26 am #7

Cheers,
Tony
Originally posted on 22 Feb.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... tmctbd.htm

Webmaster, IPMS Patriot Chapter, Billerica, MA
www.ipmspatriot.org
Last edited by rcboater on April 1st, 2012, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 3:28 am #8

Are you convinced TBDs had the twin gun doors? IIRC SBDs initially got 'slide-in' doors to mod single gun aircraft for the twins, and later got the upper twin doors (to invent a name for them) as a production mod.

Reinforcing my opinion is at least one photo of a TBD taking off on June 4 (VT-8, perhaps?) with the twin guns out and facing forward. I opine this was to allow the gunner to face forward for take-off. This implies the twins on this aircraft at least could not be stowed internally at all.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.
They were cobbled together quickly ashore/at sea, in an environment where closing all the canopy sections would rarely be required anyways, thus likely leaving them out in the breeze between missions.

Just my guess, though.

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

April 1st, 2012, 4:27 am #9

Joe

I doubt there was time, or really a need to modify the doors. The TBF was already in the field and slated to replace the TBD. Why go through any more trouble than necessary?

Ken

April 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm #10

Cheers,
Tony
Early TBDs also had a small rectangular window on the fuselage just above the wing leading edge for the bombardier when he was down at the Norden bomb sight. It's present on the kit so not a problem.