can I get a review? Tamiyas KV-1B. (1/35)

can I get a review? Tamiyas KV-1B. (1/35)

March 15th, 2012, 2:50 am #1

So, I have been off the grid for awhile and was digging through some old kits and the KV1 looks interesting but before I start it I was curious what you guys think about it? I'm heading over to the review section in a minute to look it up but I was hoping for more opinions. At the moment I just has the kit and a set of fruil tracks for it.
Are their any fatal flaws? What after market stuff will I need or should I just bench it and get the Trumpeter kit?

Thanks

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"

March 15th, 2012, 2:57 am #2

It's a quick and fun build. But if accuracy and finesse are your goals, get the inexpensive Trumpeter alternative. Save it and build it with a kid. He/She will love you for it. Save the $ from needing to buy Friuls too.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
AMPS President
<a href="http://www.amps-armor.org" rel="nofollow">http://www.amps-armor.org</a>

March 15th, 2012, 11:24 am #3

So, I have been off the grid for awhile and was digging through some old kits and the KV1 looks interesting but before I start it I was curious what you guys think about it? I'm heading over to the review section in a minute to look it up but I was hoping for more opinions. At the moment I just has the kit and a set of fruil tracks for it.
Are their any fatal flaws? What after market stuff will I need or should I just bench it and get the Trumpeter kit?

Thanks

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"
a kid to build it with and have fun..save your monies on dressing up this old lady of a kit....at model shows the Tamiya KV1 kits go for $5-10.00 tops, that should tell you something. It will look like a KV 1 when done...if you like contact me off line I have a few tid bits that could enhance this old lady. Mike

March 15th, 2012, 12:08 pm #4

Thanks

The price of a decent set of tracks alone would push the cost above the pretty nice (and fairly cheap) Trumpeter KVs. I'd chuck it up on eBay and see if anyone bites and use the money to buy a Trumpeter kit.

I was digging through my older Tamiya kits looking for the Centurion box (never did find it) and stumbled across the old 1972 Tamiya Jeep kits. I didn't realize I still had them. One was a pristine kit that had an Eduard PE set with it, the other one was one I had started in high school and abandoned when I came across better Testors/Italeri Jeeps. I threw the untouched Jeep kit with etch up on eBay and it already got some bids. I'll use that money to buy one of the newer Bantam Jeeps that Miniarm(art?) has out that I'd been meaning to get.

RobG

March 17th, 2012, 1:30 am #5

Thanks

I personally like the old tamiya kit BUT tracks not
good. The trumpeter kits are cheap (like 15.00,if you need one, Ive got too many). Trumpeter KV-1 line has great details, respectable tracks ect. I'd go trump.
my three cents, Phil

March 17th, 2012, 4:15 pm #6

I've got a partially built Tamiya KV-1 (Type C); decent old school build even with the motorization holes, but the tracks are very, very old school with the smooth inner surface and token center guide tooth. The cost of a set of replacement tracks runs $25-$40 (ModelKasten, Trumpeter or Fruil). For the price of replacement tracks alone, you can get a couple up-to-date Trumpeter KV kits. The German captured Beute Panzer KV can be had for little more than the price of a combo-meal at McDonald's.

Like I said, I'd sell the Tamiya KV on eBay, get a few dollars for it and use that to buy any of the available Trumpeter kits. At worse, you'd break even, but knowing the market you'd probably get more for your Tamiya kit than you'd pay for the Trumpeter kit.

RobG

March 17th, 2012, 5:23 pm #7

The Tamiya kit will still look ok but the tracks are totally worthless. Since the Trumpeter kits come with two sets of tracks, use the spare band tracks on the Tamiya kit.

March 18th, 2012, 5:03 am #8

I just haven't gotten around to busting out the Trumpeter kit. I think I paid $6 at a club auction for the Trumpeter KV.

RobG

March 18th, 2012, 8:45 am #9

I personally like the old tamiya kit BUT tracks not
good. The trumpeter kits are cheap (like 15.00,if you need one, Ive got too many). Trumpeter KV-1 line has great details, respectable tracks ect. I'd go trump.
my three cents, Phil
Does that include shipping?