Can car old get old? I drive about 500 miles a month, and when I

Can car old get old? I drive about 500 miles a month, and when I

February 17th, 2012, 10:01 pm #1

get an oil change there on the sticker is the mileage I should change the oil or a date. And invariably the date comes long before I have put any mileage on the car.

I get phone calls from my dealer to say the date has run out and should come in for an oil change.

Should I change the oil by date or mileage?

Cheers,

Derek

February 17th, 2012, 10:46 pm #2

3 months or 3,000 miles, which ever comes first. The idea is that the oil gets contaminated with stuff that doesn't burn off since the engine isn't running hot enough long enough to burn it off when driven only occasionally. My way of thinking is that it's old school - things have changed quite a bit over the years: oil is better, engines cleaner, gas cleaner, etc.

Check your owner's manual. My Honda Accord is driven standard service so the oil change interval is 10,000 miles. My wife's Accent is driven under severe service conditions and the manual calls for 3 months/3,000 miles. My old Corolla was 1 year/15,000 miles. My motorcycle is something else... They are all different.

Dave Boschetti
Portland, Maine
Dave
Portland, ME

February 17th, 2012, 10:46 pm #3

get an oil change there on the sticker is the mileage I should change the oil or a date. And invariably the date comes long before I have put any mileage on the car.

I get phone calls from my dealer to say the date has run out and should come in for an oil change.

Cheers,

Derek
if you don't drive much then still change it when the date comes up, better for the motor that way

February 17th, 2012, 11:23 pm #4

Cheers,

Derek
some oils are formulated to hold a great amount of contaminants and don't require changing as often. SOme will tell you to follow the vehicles owners manual other say follow the instructions provided by the oil producer.

Oils are constantly being reformulated and your cars owners manual doesn't take that into consideration.

Some new cars can go as much as 10K between oil changes!

If the dipstick doesn't snap back into its tube like it was attached with a piece of elastic...its still good for a few hundred more miles. ;0)

February 18th, 2012, 12:21 am #5

Cheers,

Derek
My Dad always taught me 'every 3k'. I never have had to worry about not driving 3k in 3 months.

Anymore I take my Mustang to the Ford dealership for the oil change, as it aint worth the 8 bucks I save doing it myself!

Anyway I always have changed the oil between 3 and 3500 and the sticker they put in always reflected the next change at the next 3,000 mile mark. I now have had two oil changes in the last 6 months where the sticker now reflects 5,000 between changes. I asked about it and they said it is 5K now. I would think they are telling the truth since they could get three more services from me per year going by the 3,000 rule...

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
Last edited by nametaken on February 18th, 2012, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 18th, 2012, 12:27 am #6

Cheers,

Derek
of a few yrs ago, it's still 'cheap' insurance.

I stopped w/ the 3000 mile oil/filter changes decades ago. Now in the 5-8,000 range, oil and filter. Prob still 'wasting' oil/filter, w/ more life left, at that chg interval but that's the # I've chosen. Improved motor tech. Improved oil tech. Cars just better than those from the 70/80s.

Oil/filters are of course recycled. Oil saved in an old steel 5 gal DuPont laq thinner drum and taken to the recycler and emptied when close to full. Filters stored, open end up, in a box until I have a doz or so. I have a lot of space in the garage. Where I live, same w/ cooking oil, anti freeze, atf, gear oil, light bulbs, batteries, etc. The recyclers are full service here.

My cars are all lightly used. Way under gross veh loads. They seldom if ever see redline. I live in a very temperate area. Cars usually do not exp freezing (I sometimes do go skiing) or over 80 degree temps. They have it easy compared to others in the US/world.

February 18th, 2012, 12:37 am #7

My Dad always taught me 'every 3k'. I never have had to worry about not driving 3k in 3 months.

Anymore I take my Mustang to the Ford dealership for the oil change, as it aint worth the 8 bucks I save doing it myself!

Anyway I always have changed the oil between 3 and 3500 and the sticker they put in always reflected the next change at the next 3,000 mile mark. I now have had two oil changes in the last 6 months where the sticker now reflects 5,000 between changes. I asked about it and they said it is 5K now. I would think they are telling the truth since they could get three more services from me per year going by the 3,000 rule...

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
Especially when one uses Mobil 1. My oil life indicators on the Caddy DTS, Fit and CR-Z don't get down to the 15% figure for at least 8K miles. And, from what I understand, the computer-generated figure is much more accurate than the Mark I eyeball. I only change the Mobil 1 in the 'vette once every year.

Bondo

February 18th, 2012, 12:54 am #8

and the first oil change on some of those babys is up in the 10-12K range... I change the oil in my 944 about every 6 months and use synthetic in it. That equates to about 6-7K miles...

Changing the oil every 3000 miles is a waste of oil if you ask me. Oil is formulated much better these days so the OLD rule of 3000 miles is really out the window. Now it's more or less a marketing tool.... I change my own so..

Cheers,
Dave

February 18th, 2012, 12:55 am #9

Cheers,

Derek
a kiss with it. I now use synthetic oil and change at about 7,500 miles. Look at the dipstick and if it isn't dirty don't change it.

February 18th, 2012, 1:11 am #10

Cheers,

Derek
I go by mileage but since I drive 2 cars I also keep a eye on how many months between changes....if I didn't I might only be changing oil in 1 car once a year (recommended every 5000 miles on my 2008 Saturn Vue....I only drive it about 6000 miles a year).

I also get free oil changes from GM on both cars for the lifetime I own them so I figure why not every 4 months to play it safe