Can anyone ID the aircraft this wheel and strut originally came from?

Can anyone ID the aircraft this wheel and strut originally came from?

March 26th, 2012, 12:37 am #1

This is the nose gear from the prototype Aero Commander, now being restored in Oklahoma City after being allowed for years to rot away on pylons at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds.

This is said to be the tail wheel and strut from a WW II vintage airplane, but no one knows which one, and any documentation has long since been lost. The restorers are looking for one of these for the restoration. The tire was a 6.00 x 6 4-ply.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

March 26th, 2012, 1:02 am #2

Well, since the Aero Commander was eventually a Rockwell (nee North American Aviation) plane, it would be fitting if it was from an AT-6 or P-51?

March 26th, 2012, 2:14 am #3

This is the nose gear from the prototype Aero Commander, now being restored in Oklahoma City after being allowed for years to rot away on pylons at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds.

This is said to be the tail wheel and strut from a WW II vintage airplane, but no one knows which one, and any documentation has long since been lost. The restorers are looking for one of these for the restoration. The tire was a 6.00 x 6 4-ply.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
love the shoes thou

March 26th, 2012, 10:15 am #4

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Looks possibly like a tail wheel fork from a Mosquito or Hurricane.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

March 26th, 2012, 5:10 pm #5

Well, since the Aero Commander was eventually a Rockwell (nee North American Aviation) plane, it would be fitting if it was from an AT-6 or P-51?
most of the people who built the prototype were working days at Douglas at the time.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!