Camo-scheme help needed...

Camo-scheme help needed...

July 13th, 2012, 7:48 pm #1

Any of you gentlemen (or ladies) have any idea as to what the camo-scheme for the upper surfaces of this aircraft might have been?

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mathias
Monterey, Calfornia

July 13th, 2012, 8:08 pm #2

appears to represent a Bf-109K-4 of III/JG53 flown by Ernst Dieter Barnhard, Germany 1945. Camouflage is thought to be RLM 81/82 (or is it 83) over RLM 76 although your profile suggests an RLM 84 underside. Upper camouflage colors presumably would be RLM 81/82(83) in the standard pattern seen on late war Bf-109G-10's and K's. I'm sure some Luftwaffe experten will be along soon to either refute, amend or confirm this info. HTH.

July 13th, 2012, 8:38 pm #3

Any of you gentlemen (or ladies) have any idea as to what the camo-scheme for the upper surfaces of this aircraft might have been?

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mathias
Monterey, Calfornia
Here is the caption from the profile:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcambg_8.htm

Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4
Staff Flight, III./JG 53
Lt. Ernst-Dieter Bernhard, Kaufbeuren, Germany, 19 April 1945

"The upper surfaces of this aircraft are painted in RLM 77 Grey (the lighter of the two greys) and RLM 75 Grey-Violet. Lower surfaces are in the non-standard yellow-green. A number of Bf 109K4s wore this interesting scheme (see Part Four of this series for more detail). The original fuselage code (or possibly delivery number) has been painted out in a darker colour. At least one source suggests the overpainting was in RLM 74 Grey-Green, but this colour was discontinued and rarely seen applied to these late-war fighters"

Whether 77 was used as a camouflage color or whether it was just a late war home brew light gray will never be resolved. There are two schools of thought, and the body count is high. The underside would be the "So called 84".

Similar aircraft:

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 14th, 2012, 1:06 am #4

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mathias
Monterey, Calfornia
Thank you Gents! n/t

July 14th, 2012, 7:34 am #5

I'm writing from memory now but as I recall from the colorpicture of this aircraft the undersurfaces were regular RLM76.

I compared some modelling colors to the RLM77 chip in Ken Merricks latest work and the Vallejo Model Air Medium Sea Grey is spot on.

Cheers / Anders