CA Whirlwind

CA Whirlwind

May 25th, 2012, 1:46 pm #1

Well having finally beaten the CA Hudson into submission, I pulled the CA Whirlwind I started years ago down from the shelf of doom. I quickly realized why it wound up there.

If you built this beast, how the heck did you do the landing gear? On mine, the wheels are too narrow, the gear strut appears to be too wide, but to narrow to fit into the "mounts" in the wheel well!

The rest of it I can use a bigger hammer, but I have a brain knot with the gear.

Thanks!

Bruce

May 25th, 2012, 2:47 pm #2

After dealing with the CA P-51H and the B-57, I sold all my CA stuff, including the Whirlwind. Just too much trouble, not enough fun. Sorry if that is not helpful, just wanted to say....

Mark

May 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm #3

Well having finally beaten the CA Hudson into submission, I pulled the CA Whirlwind I started years ago down from the shelf of doom. I quickly realized why it wound up there.

If you built this beast, how the heck did you do the landing gear? On mine, the wheels are too narrow, the gear strut appears to be too wide, but to narrow to fit into the "mounts" in the wheel well!

The rest of it I can use a bigger hammer, but I have a brain knot with the gear.

Thanks!

Bruce
one solution is to use bigger pair of wheels, that's what I did on mine, but I remember that fixing the whole U/C has been quite tricky! Regards, jean;

May 25th, 2012, 5:43 pm #4

Thanks!

Bruce
It's so long ago I don't remember how. I used the Cooper Details resin; perhaps those wheels were a bit bigger.

The kit overall was an ill-fitting mess. One could wish for someone to do a new tool.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

May 25th, 2012, 6:09 pm #5

Thanks!

Bruce
so the details of how I handled the main gear are foggy but I do remember the struts requiring a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get everything lined up and fitting. On mine, the strut parts didn't match what the instructions showed but not so off that I couldn't figure out what to do.

Actually, I found the overall fit of the kit quite good.

Here are a few more pics I just took which might help. I seem to recall having to adjust the width of the large brace between the struts (the flat black thing) to set the proper width.

Cheers,
Eric

May 25th, 2012, 6:33 pm #6

Thanks!

Bruce
there were two releases of this kit. The second one had changes to address some of the problems.

Bill Shuey

May 25th, 2012, 6:58 pm #7

Thanks!

Bruce
http://hsfeatures.com/whirlwindbg_2.htm

http://kits.kitreview.com/whirlwindreviewse_1.htm

http://barracudacals.com/gallery/index. ... -Australia

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

May 25th, 2012, 11:29 pm #8

so the details of how I handled the main gear are foggy but I do remember the struts requiring a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get everything lined up and fitting. On mine, the strut parts didn't match what the instructions showed but not so off that I couldn't figure out what to do.

Actually, I found the overall fit of the kit quite good.

Here are a few more pics I just took which might help. I seem to recall having to adjust the width of the large brace between the struts (the flat black thing) to set the proper width.

Cheers,
Eric
Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

May 26th, 2012, 4:10 am #9

Thanks!

Bruce
Mark E. Young, Jr.
MSgt, USAF (Ret)

KC-135A - Built When Man Thought He Could Burn Water

May 26th, 2012, 10:13 am #10

there were two releases of this kit. The second one had changes to address some of the problems.

Bill Shuey
is that the second edition had an injection canopy instead of vac. Also added bomb carriers, I guess. I've got both, but haven't really sat down to compare other bits, so there may be more alterations than I'm aware of.

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know