C-47 Wing Warpage

C-47 Wing Warpage

March 28th, 2012, 5:12 pm #1

Hi!
It seems it is my year for warped wings!
Anyway, I pulled my Monogram C-47 out from the stash to build. I prepainted what I could, assembled the interior, and started on the w2ings. Here I discovered the outer, upper wing panels are really warped. I do not have a pot big enough to boil water to try to unwarp the wings. I went to the stash for the AC-47 I have, and those wings are also warped in a very similar fashion.
So how can I unwarp the wings? Revell says they do not have the parts to replace mine so I do need to unwarp them, or get replacement wings...

Bruce

March 28th, 2012, 5:55 pm #2

Bruce, not having seen the wing with my Mk. I eyeball, i can only guess at the nature of the warp.

However, if its span-wise, here are some ideas:

1) Install a piece of K+S Brass bar stock to the inside skin of the wing. Bond it to the wing with epoxy. Very often this will take the bend right out.

2) When you glue the upper and lower segments together, take two pieces of rectangular or square extrusion (Brass, Alum, Plex... doesn't matter so long as its long and straight) and clamp these up along the upper and lower tailing edge of the wing while you allow the cement to dry. The extrusions act like a "Splint" and keep the tailing edge very straight while the glue sets up, which may go 90% towards solving the problem.

You may have to cut away some things like aileron trim tab fairings, etc., but thats minor compared to making the wing straight.

3) Paul Budzik has this problem often with the big Monogram planes. He actually makes the "Splint" out of two big pieces of wood and screws them together.

Hopefully something in this mess will prove useful.

david

March 28th, 2012, 7:29 pm #3

Really bad warping of the lower wing half. Straightened it out with an appropriately bent squared brass spar. Worked great.
Last edited by jmustarde on March 28th, 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm #4

Hi!
Anyway, I pulled my Monogram C-47 out from the stash to build. I prepainted what I could, assembled the interior, and started on the w2ings. Here I discovered the outer, upper wing panels are really warped. I do not have a pot big enough to boil water to try to unwarp the wings. I went to the stash for the AC-47 I have, and those wings are also warped in a very similar fashion.
So how can I unwarp the wings? Revell says they do not have the parts to replace mine so I do need to unwarp them, or get replacement wings...

Bruce
I'll deeply score lines both width and lengthwise in a cross hatch pattern on the inside of the wing being careful not to go so deep that it will show on the outside. Make your fore and aft cuts very close together so the warped area is flexible. I'll then super glue or epoxy a spar in place.
Last edited by faaguy on March 29th, 2012, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 10:56 pm #5

Hi!

Bruce
Securely tape the wing to a board and zap it with a hair dryer. Go easy at first. Don't ask me how I know.

Curt
KVPS