Buying from Hong Kong & the Ukraine ?

Buying from Hong Kong & the Ukraine ?

August 12th, 2012, 1:07 pm #1

I wonder if it is saft to buy from dealers in Hong Kong and in the Ukraine.

I read the international rules on their sites and it says that there may be an import duty.

Rodney
---------------

August 12th, 2012, 1:23 pm #2

I'm in the US and buy from Lucky and HobbyEasy, both Hong Kong onlines afaik, often, for about 3-4 yrs now. No problems. I usually use a credit card. A few times PayPal as a test. All went OK.

Here in the States, incoming hobby/toys, no matter from where they are sent, are not subject to tax/duty.

I have zero exp buying from Ukrainian onlines. If you, I'd only use a cc or PayPal until I got to 'know' the seller better. Then perhaps mo or check if you like but if you have a cc, why bother w/ anything else? You'll be covered should anything go astray.
Last edited by bookmark460 on August 12th, 2012, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 1:28 pm #3

I read the international rules on their sites and it says that there may be an import duty.

Rodney
---------------
Where it's from doesn't really have any bearing but who it's from may. Depending on what country you live im you may or may not have to pay duty, has nothing to do with where it's coming from.

August 12th, 2012, 1:55 pm #4

Rodney
---------------
... in Kyiv more than once and had very good service. I'm in the US and there's been no question of customs duties. HT puts a label on their package declaring contents and approx. value.
If you're outside the US, your local law will govern.

August 12th, 2012, 2:10 pm #5

Rodney
---------------
I'm in the UK, no issues from either country - Ukraine appears to operate EU principles - they ship, and it gets delivered within a week.
I've only bought from Luckymodel and Hobby King (an RC supplier), they both operate a 'sympathetic' export principle, which is certainly superior to Wingnut Wings!
So far I haven't been hit for duties from HK.

Cheers,

Andy

August 12th, 2012, 2:52 pm #6

Rodney
---------------
It has to do with where you live. I've ordered (in the USA) from Hobby Terra and several of the HK dealers with no problems at all. The US does not charge duty on toy imports, and models are considered toys.

August 12th, 2012, 2:53 pm #7

Rodney
---------------
The USA classifies scale models as toys, and there are no import duties/taxes into the USA for toys, regardless of the country of origin. If you live in another country, there may very well be import duties to pay, and they could be significant, if the models originate from outside countries. For example in most of the EU countries, import duties/taxes are around 20%.

August 12th, 2012, 3:18 pm #8

Rodney
---------------
In fact my package from Ukraine I got one time came incredibly fast, way way faster than Lucky Models.

Scotty B

August 12th, 2012, 3:52 pm #9

Rodney
---------------
The USA doesn't have any duty on kits so thats not a problem. The UK, for example, does have all kinds of duties, fees, taxes etc. So if you live there then yes it could be an issue.

I buy from Lucky in Hong Kong all the time and also from Hobby Terra in Ukraine. Both are very good. I live in the USA...

August 12th, 2012, 5:00 pm #10

Rodney
---------------
http://www.umka.com.ua/eng/catalogue/mi ... efpar4=rss
So far two books with paypal and took about a week to 10 days.Very happy.
Can't read them but photo's are excellent.Price was very good also.
Rick