Bump - C47 in 3 tone US Navy c/s - serials position

Bump - C47 in 3 tone US Navy c/s - serials position

April 15th, 2012, 2:53 am #1

Not much comment previously - so try again - this is the bird that I am interested in - position of serial is not clear => anybody have any extra info?

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor

April 15th, 2012, 4:51 am #2

... is probably an R4D (the Navy's designation for C-47s). All I can add is that that's the first photo of a Gooney Bird in tri-color camouflage I've ever seen. Thanks!

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

April 15th, 2012, 5:37 am #3

lower fusealage for the serial ? - can't see anything on the fin (unless the censor removed it - it is a wartime shot)

Greg Taylor

April 15th, 2012, 8:49 am #4

... is probably an R4D (the Navy's designation for C-47s). All I can add is that that's the first photo of a Gooney Bird in tri-color camouflage I've ever seen. Thanks!

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.
I saw it a long time ago in a Wings/Airpower article. She looks good in that outfit, and such a one is on my "to-do" list! There is apparently a Profile Publication covering R4D variants, so that might possibly be a source for more?

bob
Last edited by gingerbob on April 15th, 2012, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

April 15th, 2012, 11:54 am #5

Not much comment previously - so try again - this is the bird that I am interested in - position of serial is not clear => anybody have any extra info?

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor
I don't think the USN displayed their serials the same as the USAAF ie: large numbers on the tail. If other contemporary USN AC can be used as a guide the AC information was on the rudder in small text. Look at an F6F or TBF rudder. I think that will give you an answer.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

April 15th, 2012, 12:22 pm #6

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor
I am e-mailing a scan of artwork of this aircraft from the source below. It is an R4D-5, BN 17136. The MDS is on the rudder in front of the upper trim tab but no serial.

C-47/R4D Skytrain Units of the Pacific and CBI (Combat Aircraft) [Paperback]
David Isby (Author), Chris Davey (Illustrator)
Paperback: 96 pages
Publisher: Osprey Publishing (February 27, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1846030463
ISBN-13: 978-1846030468

Curt
KVPS

April 15th, 2012, 2:05 pm #7

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor
M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

April 15th, 2012, 3:13 pm #8

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor
[/IMG]

Although grainy, that just might be the serial (or BU number) on the original photo.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

April 15th, 2012, 9:10 pm #9

[/IMG]

Greg Taylor
On the fixed portion of the vertical fin in (usually) 2" high letters it would say:

NAVY

And immediately aft on the rudder itself the a/c type, also in 2" high numbers

R4D-5
Last edited by MichiganPete on April 16th, 2012, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.