BUCK PRIVATES in Glorious HD

BUCK PRIVATES in Glorious HD

April 19th, 2012, 6:16 pm #1

Universal released their Blu-ray "digibook" of Abbott & Costello's BUCK PRIVATES on Tuesday. A digibook is fancy packaging used as an excuse to overcharge customers and this set includes a DVD for the old folks . Overpackaging aside, It's a thing of beauty to see this 1941 classic in high definition.

From bigpicturebigsound.com:

"According to the package, the 4:3, black-and-white Buck Privates has been "digitally remastered and fully restored from high resolution 35mm original film elements" and, as the characters here might say, brother, they ain't kiddin'! The image is immaculate, purged of every flaw to reveal abundant fine details, including the textures of the various costumes. What I mistook for a speck of dirt was actually a fly buzzing around Lou's head.

The blacks are deliciously rich, while the edge enhancement is minor and the noise minimal. The AVC-encoded video on this dual-layer platter hovers around the generous 30-megabits-per-second mark."

I remember growing up in the 1960's watching Abbott & Costello on my parents old Viking brand TV set. I think that the kids of the '60's were more part of the Abbott & Costello generation than the movie goers of the 1940's. Some folks may have gone out to see an A&C movie every year but the kids in the 1960's had them beamed into the living room regularly. Here I sit today, watching the boys on a 60" HD TV looking better than I could even have imagined back in 1965. Amazing!

This youtube clip is in very low definition...but, if you get BUCK PRIVATES on Blu-ray, you can see it in glorious high defintion with near perfect lossless sound.

http://youtu.be/y5H7F2Zsxl0

April 20th, 2012, 4:24 am #2

see most movies in HD, etc. I like letter boxing, a 60" screen, and a few other recent tweaks. Sure, 2001, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner and many, many others (real beautiful visual films) 'deserve' to be seen in HD w/ the best copy available/restored, on a good big screen. Home or at a theater. The other 90% of movies/TV out there, reg dvd is more than enough for me!

Was never much of an A&C fan but even for those I do enjoy, the Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, etc, I don't need to see them in HD or whatever. Hell, for most old movies (again that 90%),'tape' was more than good enuff for me.

Do people really need HD/Bluray copies of old Jerry Lewis or Eddie Murphy bombs?

Your money, your joy, and too, the dvd disc and player makers must luv you all.

What's the next step, after lame-o $$$ home 3D of course? Halographic re-releases? Gee can't wait for all those Doris Day cookie cutter comedies of the 60s to be released as such. Zzzzzzzz. Cha-ching, not. No sale!

April 20th, 2012, 4:32 am #3

But Tom, The Andrew Sisters, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy!!!

April 20th, 2012, 5:22 am #4

Great voices BUT BOW WOW! nt.

April 20th, 2012, 2:13 pm #5

see most movies in HD, etc. I like letter boxing, a 60" screen, and a few other recent tweaks. Sure, 2001, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner and many, many others (real beautiful visual films) 'deserve' to be seen in HD w/ the best copy available/restored, on a good big screen. Home or at a theater. The other 90% of movies/TV out there, reg dvd is more than enough for me!

Was never much of an A&C fan but even for those I do enjoy, the Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, etc, I don't need to see them in HD or whatever. Hell, for most old movies (again that 90%),'tape' was more than good enuff for me.

Do people really need HD/Bluray copies of old Jerry Lewis or Eddie Murphy bombs?

Your money, your joy, and too, the dvd disc and player makers must luv you all.

What's the next step, after lame-o $$$ home 3D of course? Halographic re-releases? Gee can't wait for all those Doris Day cookie cutter comedies of the 60s to be released as such. Zzzzzzzz. Cha-ching, not. No sale!
I don't quite understand why you felt compelled to respond to a post about something that clearly is of no interest to you.

Ok.You "...don't need to see most movies in HD". You were "...never much of an A&C fan". "Cha-ching, not. No sale!"

I get it. You're not interested in HD, not a fan of Abbott & Costello and you're not buying the disc.

But why would anybody take time to post that they aren't interested in somebody else's message thread? I see many subjects posted here that are of no interest to me. That's the way an off-topic forum works. There are many subjects discussed where I have nothing to contribute or have no particular motivation to discuss.

As a general rule, I don't take the time to tell somebody that I don't care about their message thread.

April 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm #6

It happens here. Somewhat often. People are funny that way. Not worth trying to figure it out.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 20th, 2012, 8:05 pm #7

Just saying.....

It does grow tiresome though....

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

April 20th, 2012, 8:08 pm #8

You can't see the forest through the trees. You cant smell your own !@#$ on your knees!!!!

Hey Vern, know what I mean???

Last edited by nametaken on April 20th, 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 12:39 am #9

Now Maxene wasn't that bad, .be nice. n/t
Last edited by steven9 on April 21st, 2012, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.