Brass prop weathering

Brass prop weathering

March 2nd, 2012, 1:38 pm #1

OK, I am cheating. This is a tank question. The Japanese Ka-Mi was an amphibious tank with (I assume) brass props. What is the best way to weather these as they would be out of the water most of the time?

March 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm #2

... I believe brass turns greenish to a turquiose color deposits when it corrodes... It's usually removed with a brass wire brush... It also pits if not treated.

Any boat owners may know more...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 2nd, 2012, 3:12 pm #3

OK, I am cheating. This is a tank question. The Japanese Ka-Mi was an amphibious tank with (I assume) brass props. What is the best way to weather these as they would be out of the water most of the time?
Props are often bronze. Brass is used more for show.

Bronze weathers to a chocolate brown (not a dark chocolate, more of a Hershey's)

Was bronze even used for corrosion resistant properties? The props would have been new (raw or painted) and would have been needed only for the distance between the tank carrier & the surf line.

In USN practice that would be roughly 5 miles. I did my freshly-landed LVT as wet but unweathered.

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

March 2nd, 2012, 3:19 pm #4

They were also removable when the tank was on shore, along with the shafts.

Remember also the Type 2 was only used as an amphibious tank once or twice. So all of the tanks on Saipan etc had been in place without the float gear etc as they were used as regular tanks or dug in.
Last edited by djnick66 on March 2nd, 2012, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2012, 9:01 pm #5

Steve Zaloga painted the barrel in Japanese Arsenal khaki-brown. It looks like rust in the pictures. Is there a close FS number or is it red zinc chromate.

March 4th, 2012, 1:25 pm #6

Myself I would probably use Humbrol Hardened Leather as a base. Photographic evidence of the tanks does not show brown barrels though. At least that I could tell.