Bottom Wing Fix on the Vac

Bottom Wing Fix on the Vac

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

September 27th, 2011, 2:36 pm #1

All,

I think I fixed the undersurface problem on the single sided vac mold on my recon aircraft. It's just skinned with some thin plastic that was feathered (sanded) at the edges and glued in place after a little embossing with a pen and ruler. The fixed one is primed in grey below.

On to the top wings!

Cheers.

September 27th, 2011, 4:40 pm #2

Not sure what happened there. Trust me, the wings look great!

I'll get an actual picture later...

September 27th, 2011, 5:36 pm #3

Now the picture is there...it's going to be a long day.

September 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm #4

All,

I think I fixed the undersurface problem on the single sided vac mold on my recon aircraft. It's just skinned with some thin plastic that was feathered (sanded) at the edges and glued in place after a little embossing with a pen and ruler. The fixed one is primed in grey below.

On to the top wings!

Cheers.
G'day Dan,

To be honest, I probably can do the work on a VAC but if there is a injected kit out there then why bother? Bulkheads and crushed wings etc make it a chore. Funny most VAC kits never have any indication of how to do the structural support. Nor do they provide any materials or plastic to complete the laborious task of supporting that awkward huge crushing hand of mine. I find in many cases if you wait a bit the aircraft will show up sooner or later. Don't get me wrong I admire any one who can complete one. I just would like to see a better job on the VAC's out there from their producers. Maybe they would sell a few more kits. At least to me anyways...............

Great work Dan and I look forward to see'n more pics of those wonderful work in progresses.

PHIL

September 27th, 2011, 7:52 pm #5

My problem is that I actually enjoy the scratch building and problem solving process. I've gotten tired of the kits that click and fall together because they just become a painting exercise.

Maybe that's because my painting/weathering skills are lacking! Don't be me wrong either...the finishes I've seen on some models blow me away and I don't care which kit they are from. Truly artistic and realistic.

For now, I'm having a fun time. I guess the next step from vacs are the resin ones that have esoteric subjects. I've never done one of those. These vacs seem more forgiving in some respects.

Thanks for looking and I hope to have more to report soon!

September 27th, 2011, 11:22 pm #6

All,

On to the top wings!

Cheers.
Well played indeed!

September 28th, 2011, 1:26 am #7

All,

On to the top wings!

Cheers.
I don't remember what I was working on but a wooden dowel with wet/dry paper evened up those scalloped trailing edges just right.
I was wondering how you addressed the bottom of the wings, love the ribs.
Great stuff Danny !!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

September 29th, 2011, 8:33 pm #8

All,

On to the top wings!

Cheers.
I will share it next week - currently heavily entangled with 2 262s

But nice work Dan - you show us the way !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1)
1/72 - Airfix - Me-262 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2) - Part III - Part IV

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

October 3rd, 2011, 1:37 pm #9

All,

On to the top wings!

Cheers.
More embossing - looks like the O/400 has company. Totally agree about being tired of kits that just fall together.

Regards,
Adrian