Blue Skies Howard Pardue ...... Lost Today

Blue Skies Howard Pardue ...... Lost Today

April 4th, 2012, 11:05 pm #1

Howard Pardue is the owner and operator of this beautifully restored rare Grumman XF8F-1 Bearcat, which is one the first two prototypes ordered by the US Navy in November, 1943.

Seen many times taking part in many Heritage Flights across the US.

Was sadly lost today flying his Bearcat this afternoon shortly after takeoff from Stephens County Airport near Breckinridge, Texas.

Blue Skies........

Link to Bio: http://www.warbirddepot.com/aircraft_fi ... pardue.asp

April 4th, 2012, 11:11 pm #2

I know that Purdue was a great pilot, I've seen him perform several times over the years. But what on earth is a 77 year old doing flying a high performance, and irreplaceable F8F Bearcat? It isn't a question of whether you CAN, it's whether you SHOULD.

Don't misconstrue, my thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Pardue's family.

Cameron

April 4th, 2012, 11:17 pm #3

Anyone who gives you grief over your comment is an idiot! He probably should have hung it up at 77, but who knows? I'll add a comment that will surely get some flak. He would eventually die anyway, but it's a shame to lose the aircraft.

April 4th, 2012, 11:27 pm #4

Howard Pardue is the owner and operator of this beautifully restored rare Grumman XF8F-1 Bearcat, which is one the first two prototypes ordered by the US Navy in November, 1943.

Seen many times taking part in many Heritage Flights across the US.

Was sadly lost today flying his Bearcat this afternoon shortly after takeoff from Stephens County Airport near Breckinridge, Texas.

Blue Skies........

Link to Bio: http://www.warbirddepot.com/aircraft_fi ... pardue.asp
rescuing so many warbirds...many of the popular warbirds seen at shows are the result of Pardue's intervention.

RIP Howard Pardue.

April 4th, 2012, 11:37 pm #5

I know that Purdue was a great pilot, I've seen him perform several times over the years. But what on earth is a 77 year old doing flying a high performance, and irreplaceable F8F Bearcat? It isn't a question of whether you CAN, it's whether you SHOULD.

Cameron
we, as a society, will not tell someone "no".....

this may be a discussion for somewhere else, some other time....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 4th, 2012, 11:46 pm #6

Cameron
He had a valid medical from the FAA and a lot of experience in his F8F. To assume he was too old to manage that airplane is way beyond your level of expertise.

April 4th, 2012, 11:47 pm #7

Anyone who gives you grief over your comment is an idiot! He probably should have hung it up at 77, but who knows? I'll add a comment that will surely get some flak. He would eventually die anyway, but it's a shame to lose the aircraft.
But it's a shame to lose the aircraft?

What a rotten thing to say, Ed.

April 4th, 2012, 11:56 pm #8

deleted
Last edited by barrowb98 on April 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm #9

There's tons of them still flying. Somebody died.

April 5th, 2012, 12:01 am #10

He had a valid medical from the FAA and a lot of experience in his F8F. To assume he was too old to manage that airplane is way beyond your level of expertise.
The reasons for this accident may very well have nothing to do with his age. "Warbirds" are very high performance aeroplanes as we all know. Look at the number of fatalities during training alone in WW2. Until something is known from the investigation, it's pointless speculating that his age alone was the issue. Just perhaps have a thought for his family.