Big Models delay

Big Models delay

April 18th, 2011, 6:00 pm #1

My plan to build the Amodel IL-76 and A-60 have been delayed until I can replace the kits.
Om Saturday a neighbor of one of my daughters decided the best way to get rid of some unwanted btush was to burn it. You guessed it. The fire got out of control. The jerk didn't even have his garden hose ready to use. By the time he got it connected the burning brush had set two garages on fire including the one belonging to my daughter. By the time the fire department arrived the garage, her Audi and it's contents were a total loss. The contents included the two Amodel big jet kits like the ones I was planning to build. The kits were birthday gifts for my twin Grandsons who were 18 on Sunday. I gave my kits to my daughter to give to the boys.
I like to display my models in and orderly and balanced manner which is the reason for building two kits of similar size. Therefore, to be practical with shipping, since I have to order another Amodel KIL-76 and an A-60 I might as well order the M3 with the Buran and the M3 with the baloon. Plus maybe a TU-114 and a BE-200 to boot. Still trying to decide.
Joe

April 18th, 2011, 6:29 pm #2

Yesterday a homeless man, 60, started to cook some eggs in a squatters "camp" nearby here in Oak Hill--there are estimated to be up to one hundred of these in the Austin area, their residents being "fed" at stoplights (I've seen one woman at the same location for at least fifteen years)like deer by bleeding hearts in their SUVs so that they (the bums) may continue their drug/alcohol-enhanced, responsibility-free existence in this totally blue "Sanctuary City"--and the resulting field/cedar fire (we've been under a "burn ban" for a looong time)charred 100 acres, wiped out eight homes and damaged ten others; with the high southerly winds threatening even more destruction, even C-130 firebombers were working the scene. The guy turned himself in to the cops. Heard a businessman call in to KLBJ/AM this morning who said he is hired by landowners to clean out the homeless camps in the area (the city threatens said landowners with fines of $1000/day), and that he could name at least twenty sites right off the top of his head; said you wouldn't believe the trashy infrastructure these people create.

Bondo Phil
Last edited by bondo455 on April 18th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2011, 6:47 pm #3

may be homeless vets suffering from PTSD.

But there's no excuse for setting outdoor fires under current conditions.

I'm surprised Austin has not created a homeless shelter for at least some of these people; right-wing Dallas did.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

April 18th, 2011, 8:34 pm #4

Lo these many years, and encountered more than my fair share of the "urban pioneers"....and in 17 years I've met exactly 0 "homeless vets with PTSD". I'm certain I've met some who were no kidding IN the military at some point...a LOT of people were, but very very few were in combat, even fewer suffer from PTSD.

April 18th, 2011, 9:47 pm #5

may be homeless vets suffering from PTSD.

But there's no excuse for setting outdoor fires under current conditions.

I'm surprised Austin has not created a homeless shelter for at least some of these people; right-wing Dallas did.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
Carrollton, Texas
The VERY great majority make it clear that it's your bucks--NOT food, etc.--they want and then to be left alone; no rules, no restrictions of ANY kind. And, oh yeah, almost forgot: they're also gonna camp out on your land. This was echoed by numerous callers this morning to KLBJ-AM, many callers that have worked in various charities that try to provide the benefits you're touting. Over and over these workers state that they've been told by the street people that only money is welcome, and the daily income is often in the $100+ range...tax-free! My wife's Methodist church is fairly close to the area that was burned yesterday, and there is a homeless camp in the woods behind the church. One night a homeless guy from this nearby camp had somehow forced his way into an activities hall at said church and was obviously trying to live there--I guess at least until the following Sunday services. When asked to leave by church members, he became hostile and aggressive, and it was 9-1-1 time to APD.

As a retired vet, I simply don't buy the PTSD thing, at least for the very great majority.

Re the setting of a fire in these dangerous conditions, the businessman whose company cleans up properties trashed by squatters, stated that EVERYONE in these encampments has fires, ALL of the time. Mebbe it's time for APD choppers to do some IR sweeps; the fires will bloom right out on the cockpit screens...

Phil
Last edited by bondo455 on April 18th, 2011, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2011, 11:07 pm #6

I don't buy it either. I think every city of any size has its share of the homeless. At O'hare in Chicago there are actual families that live in the main concourse. They try to give the appearence of travelers. I would see them when I came in and see them on my way out three or four days later. Month after month.
We have out acreage fenced: soe areas double fenced. That's eight on the out side and four feet on the inside.
My wife also has five Great danes so the bums steer clear.
Joe

April 19th, 2011, 1:38 am #7

The VERY great majority make it clear that it's your bucks--NOT food, etc.--they want and then to be left alone; no rules, no restrictions of ANY kind. And, oh yeah, almost forgot: they're also gonna camp out on your land. This was echoed by numerous callers this morning to KLBJ-AM, many callers that have worked in various charities that try to provide the benefits you're touting. Over and over these workers state that they've been told by the street people that only money is welcome, and the daily income is often in the $100+ range...tax-free! My wife's Methodist church is fairly close to the area that was burned yesterday, and there is a homeless camp in the woods behind the church. One night a homeless guy from this nearby camp had somehow forced his way into an activities hall at said church and was obviously trying to live there--I guess at least until the following Sunday services. When asked to leave by church members, he became hostile and aggressive, and it was 9-1-1 time to APD.

As a retired vet, I simply don't buy the PTSD thing, at least for the very great majority.

Re the setting of a fire in these dangerous conditions, the businessman whose company cleans up properties trashed by squatters, stated that EVERYONE in these encampments has fires, ALL of the time. Mebbe it's time for APD choppers to do some IR sweeps; the fires will bloom right out on the cockpit screens...

Phil
a coworker was doing some outside home improvement, and he approached a 'homeless man/beggar' about hiring him as a laborer. He offered the guy something like $8-10 an hour, to which he got the reply "Pffft, I make more than that just standing here". Some people just have no personal pride...

April 19th, 2011, 6:08 pm #8

My plan to build the Amodel IL-76 and A-60 have been delayed until I can replace the kits.
Om Saturday a neighbor of one of my daughters decided the best way to get rid of some unwanted btush was to burn it. You guessed it. The fire got out of control. The jerk didn't even have his garden hose ready to use. By the time he got it connected the burning brush had set two garages on fire including the one belonging to my daughter. By the time the fire department arrived the garage, her Audi and it's contents were a total loss. The contents included the two Amodel big jet kits like the ones I was planning to build. The kits were birthday gifts for my twin Grandsons who were 18 on Sunday. I gave my kits to my daughter to give to the boys.
I like to display my models in and orderly and balanced manner which is the reason for building two kits of similar size. Therefore, to be practical with shipping, since I have to order another Amodel KIL-76 and an A-60 I might as well order the M3 with the Buran and the M3 with the baloon. Plus maybe a TU-114 and a BE-200 to boot. Still trying to decide.
Joe
Uh, guys; does this thread really have anything to do with building model airplanes?
phil

Phillip Friddell

April 19th, 2011, 7:54 pm #9

And, their drops were fairly close-in, too. The home of one of our ASMS primo modelers just barely dodged the wind-born "bullet" when the strong breezes shifted about thirty degrees. Homes within 100 yards of his were destroyed.

Phil

April 20th, 2011, 12:53 am #10

Uh, guys; does this thread really have anything to do with building model airplanes?
phil

Phillip Friddell
Going off on tangents happens with any and every model topic. A couple of friends of mine will start some diminuitive thread just to watch the tangents grow.
Maybe Brett should change from caling them threads to calling them tangents. Less confusing.
Joe