Bf 109E-4/7 Research Time Gents...need a opinion

Bf 109E-4/7 Research Time Gents...need a opinion

March 23rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

I'm thinking of doing this bird down the line either 1/48th or 1/72nd (common sense would be 1/48th but you don't know me too well )

I'm leaning toward "field mixed greys" as the base camo, with the fence pattern being RLM 02/71 and the RLM 71 "looping" over the top of the fuselage.

Thoughts??? Models still in the build stage if I go 1/48th and if I decide the insane idea I'm planning on using the new Airfix 1/72nd scale Emil on if I ever get my hot little hands on one

March 23rd, 2012, 4:07 pm #2

If yes, think about the color of the surrounding nature and pick up the colors. I'd stick with fresh 70 for the webbing and 71 (compare the darker areas of the wing and the fills on the fuselage) or some kind of the "custom" green mix for the fills. Wing and upper fuselage 71/02.

I think that in this interpretation the model will look very nice.

Cheers!
Eugene
Last edited by cobhc on March 23rd, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 4:19 pm #3

That's why I lean to the mixed colors myself.

March 23rd, 2012, 4:27 pm #4

I'm thinking of doing this bird down the line either 1/48th or 1/72nd (common sense would be 1/48th but you don't know me too well )

I'm leaning toward "field mixed greys" as the base camo, with the fence pattern being RLM 02/71 and the RLM 71 "looping" over the top of the fuselage.

Thoughts??? Models still in the build stage if I go 1/48th and if I decide the insane idea I'm planning on using the new Airfix 1/72nd scale Emil on if I ever get my hot little hands on one
Don, you think about this stuff as much as I do. There isn't much contrast on the wing, suggesting 70/71, but it is an E4 or E7, at least judging from the square canopy. The spine of the fuselage looks to be mostly 02, with some 71 sprayed on the very front of the cowling in back of the prop. It is very hard to tell in this photo. One would expect an E4 built in late 1940 to be 71/02/65. The lines on the side of the fuselage look about the same tone as the back of the prop blades suggesting they are probably 70. The spots look to me to be 02. The horizontal tail plane is interesting though as it appears to be all one color (02 to my eye) with the elevators done in the same line/spot camo. With that said, I'd paint undersides 65, I would probably do the wings in 70/71 or 71/02, paint the spine and horz. tailplanes 02, then paint the camo on the sides with 70 for the stripes, 02 for the dots. Do you know the approx. date for the photo? If you do a paint job and find out it is wrong later, that will give you the excuse to build it again........ I don't think you need much convincing to build another 109 anyway, do you? So choose a color and let's see the results. I will expect to see this model at the Cincy show later this year.
Last edited by PRILLER13 on March 23rd, 2012, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 4:43 pm #5

That's why I lean to the mixed colors myself.
Remember that even early 109Fs were painted in RlM 02/71 in the beginning of Barbarossa. It's always up to you. You asked for opinions - I gave one Good luck with your research and it's always a pleasure to see your work in 72 scales.

Cheers!
Eugene

March 23rd, 2012, 4:45 pm #6

Don, you think about this stuff as much as I do. There isn't much contrast on the wing, suggesting 70/71, but it is an E4 or E7, at least judging from the square canopy. The spine of the fuselage looks to be mostly 02, with some 71 sprayed on the very front of the cowling in back of the prop. It is very hard to tell in this photo. One would expect an E4 built in late 1940 to be 71/02/65. The lines on the side of the fuselage look about the same tone as the back of the prop blades suggesting they are probably 70. The spots look to me to be 02. The horizontal tail plane is interesting though as it appears to be all one color (02 to my eye) with the elevators done in the same line/spot camo. With that said, I'd paint undersides 65, I would probably do the wings in 70/71 or 71/02, paint the spine and horz. tailplanes 02, then paint the camo on the sides with 70 for the stripes, 02 for the dots. Do you know the approx. date for the photo? If you do a paint job and find out it is wrong later, that will give you the excuse to build it again........ I don't think you need much convincing to build another 109 anyway, do you? So choose a color and let's see the results. I will expect to see this model at the Cincy show later this year.
to 71/02. Am I mistaken?

Seems like we think alike regarding the colors, James. I'm for 71/02/65 with 70 for the webbing

Cheers!
Eugene
Last edited by cobhc on March 23rd, 2012, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm #7

I'm starting a herd of Emil's right now (6 1/48th, 4 1/72nd)

The lack of contrast on the wings is why I think the field mix greys myself with RLM 02/71...

Pic looks to be post Balkens/Maybe right at the start of Barbarossa....yellow band on the rudder and I'm thinking the reason the stab's have camo is they were yellow at 1 point.

I got time before I call the ball I like getting my paint notes sorted out before I finish a build for the airbrush...and I've 4 of those unbuildible Tamiya E's 1. /48th scale looking for schemes

Biggest reason to do it that scale is IIRR that's was flown by thd guy who had this one (I can't remember his name off the top of my head of course )

I'm planning on that one on one of the 1/48th kits (already did it 1/72nd scale ) and it would be neat to have both same scale sitting next to each othet at a show

March 23rd, 2012, 4:58 pm #8

Remember that even early 109Fs were painted in RlM 02/71 in the beginning of Barbarossa. It's always up to you. You asked for opinions - I gave one Good luck with your research and it's always a pleasure to see your work in 72 scales.

Cheers!
Eugene
Hell....I might do both color schemes for kicks....done it before

March 23rd, 2012, 5:00 pm #9

to 71/02. Am I mistaken?

Seems like we think alike regarding the colors, James. I'm for 71/02/65 with 70 for the webbing

Cheers!
Eugene
I doubt it's that.....but the lack of contrast on the wings is 1 reason I lean to the field mixed paints.

I love Emil's...I need a reason to drink since I got divorced anyway (I've been divorced for 20 years...maybe it's time for a new reason to drink )

March 23rd, 2012, 6:16 pm #10

to 71/02. Am I mistaken?

Cheers!
Eugene
Hey Eugene, I wouldn't argue colors. I just offer my thoughts. As I said in the previous post, the low contrast "suggests" 70/71. I would agree on this aircraft, at this stage of the war, not likely. But the wing could be a replacement from another machine canabalized for parts, or the square canopy and windscreen could be replacements to bring an E-1 or E-3 up to E-4 specs. Just when you think you have a color scheme figured out, along comes another exception to a rule that leaves you scratching your head. Who knows? Maybe this machine has some of the tropical colors used on it. I agree that one just needs to make a decision (educated as best possible) and then build and paint the model. If no one knows the colors for sure, they can't tell another model builder the choice is wrong. They can only offer an opinion....... and opinions are like......... well you know...... everybody has one....