Best way to package models for travel?

Best way to package models for travel?

July 24th, 2012, 9:12 am #1

I'm moving to Hong Kong to go to graduate school soon and planning on keeping a few models that I will mail to myself. Does anybody have input on the best way to package models? My current best idea is to suspend the model in an empty box (no filler), help firmly by the wings and tail with cardboard supports. I think this might work better than packing peanuts or other material?

Opinions?
Last edited by pdasso on July 24th, 2012, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2012, 9:48 am #2

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Packaging.html  and

http://www.wingnutmodels.com/Transport%20Box.html

--
David Wrinkle -
"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!" -RJ Mitchell

July 24th, 2012, 12:05 pm #3

I'm moving to Hong Kong to go to graduate school soon and planning on keeping a few models that I will mail to myself. Does anybody have input on the best way to package models? My current best idea is to suspend the model in an empty box (no filler), help firmly by the wings and tail with cardboard supports. I think this might work better than packing peanuts or other material?

Opinions?
NOT so loose/slack that they can slam against the sides/top tho.

And too, try a 'search' right here at PT. After trying some key words, also try 'date' preferences about one year ago (and past Julys also) for all those headed to the IPMS Nats w/ their contest entries and wondering how to transport.

Oh, and your way is good too if 'floating' within a larger outer box filled w/ styro peanuts.
Last edited by bookmark460 on July 24th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2012, 1:24 pm #4

Opinions?
For WWII fighter-sized models, I place the model in a large 1-quart zip-lock freezer bag, with 1-2" cubes of foam packing around it in the bag. I place the cubes so they provide tension against the bag, but not the delicate parts of the model when the bag is zipped. This does take some forethought, as I build my models with pitot tubes/antennae/props that are either removable or secured with white glue (so they can be removed when shipping). I then float the bag in a 9x13x6 FedEx box filled with packing peanuts.

I have shipped several models this way, and have had no issues so far. When I attempted to ship them with the cavity carved out of cushion foam, I did get some breakage reported. I found that method allowed movement that was just enough to damage the model. As the shipping manager at a place of employment once told me - "Pack everything like it will get thrown off a six-foot loading dock... because it probably will be".

For packing larger models, or complex models like modern jets with bits that cannot be removed, I would personally use the technique on the wingnuts site, above.

Mark
Last edited by gatormark91 on July 24th, 2012, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2012, 1:27 pm #5

Opinions?
I have moved several times, and have had good experience issuing "foam-beds" for my models, mostly airplanes and armor. I use the cheap foam used for (also cheap) matresses, cut the shape of the model so that it fits tight into the foam, leaving ample space for landing gear, antennae, etc. and pack it is an appropiate box. Foam thickness should be more than the model´s height, so that it protects it completedly once packed into the box. Contact to the foam should be on wings/fuselage / strong parts, avoid contact to antennae, ordnance, landing gear, guns, etc. It is better if the foam/model fit tight into the box, so that the model will not move inside the foam.
For better protection, specially with large models, you can isse a "sandwich", a second foam layer covering the top part of the model so it will be completely enclosed. Again, appropiate openings should be made to leave space for antennae, pitots, etc as required.
After several movings, and even a box falling straight from the truck to the floor... I have not had a single loss. Hope that this helps.

Marco

July 24th, 2012, 2:05 pm #6

Opinions?
I construct a custom box for each model when I complete it .
The box is sturdy, usually cardboard, with props and supports taped firmly inside it. These hold the model in place tightly, while touching it in only a few places; nowhere near anything delicate. Closing the lid brings down the final strut to bear on the model.

David

July 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm #7

Opinions?
I used those soft, plastic bags that the wife's dry cleaning comes home in. When I was in the AF, I moved built models from Virginia to Hawaii, Hawaii to Ohio, and Ohio to Virginia. In all 3 moves, I packed multiple models in a box, each in one of those bags and with other bags around and separating the models from each other. Then I turned the boxes over to the movers and hoped for the best. Most came through unscathed. There were a few broken antennas, knocked off gear doors or missiles and an occasional open canopy forced closed but there wasn't 1 model that had any serious damage.

Even now when I go to contests, I put my models in boxes lines with those bags and rarely have anything break.

July 26th, 2012, 2:38 pm #8

Opinions?
The "suspended animation"method is the best. Cardboard I haven't tried, but styrofoam o bath sponge I did. I had successfully sent models on a shipping container from Nairobi to Buenos Aires. Only a couple of antennae and canopies detached.
Fernando