Best primer to use with an airbrush?

Best primer to use with an airbrush?

April 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm #1

Hey guys

I am wondering what primer everyone recommends, for spraying via an airbrush.

I have been using Tamiya grey primer from the spray can. I love it, but man it is expensive and does not last long. I also tried Model Masters primer....everytime I spray it I have some sort of fuzz on my surface (I clean my models with soapy water and then clean them plastic cleaner).

Thanks in advance for your opinion and help.

April 9th, 2012, 4:44 pm #2

Love it.

April 9th, 2012, 4:47 pm #3

Hey guys

I have been using Tamiya grey primer from the spray can. I love it, but man it is expensive and does not last long. I also tried Model Masters primer....everytime I spray it I have some sort of fuzz on my surface (I clean my models with soapy water and then clean them plastic cleaner).

There are lots of different primers that work but I usually use Mr. Surfacer. The fuzz you're getting is probably because you're not thinning it enough, spraying from too far away or perhaps using the wrong kind of thinner. Sounds like it's drying before it hits the surface. Mr. Surface will string if you don't thin it enough but they can usually just be easily wiped off.

April 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm #4

Hey guys

It's already thinned for airbrushing so if you have any left over after your session, you can just pour it back in the bottle.

I usually use grey but they also make it in white and black. I recently got some white but haven't tried it yet.

I also used lacquer base auto primers. Duplicolor, for example.

Cheers,
Eric

April 9th, 2012, 5:45 pm #5

Alclad gray primer is great stuff!

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

April 9th, 2012, 6:56 pm #6

Love it.
but for some finishes I use Floquil's reefer white.

Bill Shuey

April 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm #7

Hey guys

The White Base 1000 is great, but then again so is the the regulaer 1000 or 1200 (thinned to your liking with lacquer thinner or Gunze's Mr. Leveling thinner)

Charles

April 9th, 2012, 7:28 pm #8

Hey guys

just mix with White spirit goes on superfine. Been using it for years never had a problem.
Mick

April 9th, 2012, 7:31 pm #9

Hey guys

just mix with White spirit goes on superfine. Been using it for years never had a problem.
Mick

April 9th, 2012, 8:52 pm #10

Hey guys

... Trick to getting more bang for your buck is to de-cant the stuff & use it w/yr. airbrush instead of shooting it from the rattle-can. One can cover a heck of a lot more area / kits this way - Just guessing, but i'd say at least 5 - 10 more models than shooting from the can.

The Tamiya Silver sprays are great for primer shooting also - Super thin, will show up any errors, & fast drying. Decanted, of course.

HtH!

Regards,
Tomt.