Best P-38 in 1/48?...

May 10th, 2009, 11:41 pm #11

...by best I mean looks like P-38 and easy to build, kind of like Tamiya's P-51!

May 11th, 2009, 12:02 am #12

Monogram. Easily found on Ebay.
Isn't the Revell P-38J the same as the old Monogram kit? I have the Revell 38J and it sure looks like a rebox of the Monogram kit. You still can build a couple of P-38 versions with it.

Dennis

May 11th, 2009, 12:27 am #13

Best detail: Hasegawa
Easiest to assemble: Academy (except for the nose)
Most versatile: Monogram

If I were to build one today, it would be one of Academy's Lightnings with True Details resin wheels and the old KMC cockpit set now sold by Squadron.

Lee K
Ditto!! (nt)

May 11th, 2009, 12:38 am #14

Isn't the Revell P-38J the same as the old Monogram kit? I have the Revell 38J and it sure looks like a rebox of the Monogram kit. You still can build a couple of P-38 versions with it.

Dennis
Late version.

Bo Roberts

May 11th, 2009, 12:42 am #15

Here's my early Academy. P-38G. They got the windshield correct.

Bo Roberts
[/IMG]
Last edited by jabow on May 11th, 2009, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2009, 1:19 am #16

...by best I mean looks like P-38 and easy to build, kind of like Tamiya's P-51!
Having read through the preceding posts, maybe helpful to clear up a couple things:
-Revell = Monogram P-38. Monogram first released it back in the '60's. Monogram and Revell combined about 15 or so years ago.

-Pro-Modeler = Hasegawa P-38f/g/h.

Like many different kits of airplanes by various manufacturers, each has their strengths and weaknesses. If raised panel lines and rivets don't bother you, Monogram/Revell would be the cheapest alternative. While it lacks any wheel well contents, including the walls, the cockpit is probably as least as good as the Hasegawa and better than the Academy. The kit allows you to build one of 4-5 versions (P-38L, P-38J - with some work, P-38M nightfighter, photorecon, droopsnoot).

Hasegawa is my favorite, as it has better detail. Alignment of the tail booms is the biggest complaint tho I haven't had much of a problem, yet-seems to differ from kit to kit. If you're in the U.S. the price will stagger you for the 2 kits in production (the J "Virginia Marie" and the F/G/H "Beautiful Lass") as I see them listed in the upper $40s at sites such as Sprue Bros and Great Models!!

New Academy kits (not sure any past the "L" kit is in production at the moment) are priced in the high teens to low $20s. If you just want to slap one together, I suppose that this one would be the way to go. But unless fit is your only criteria, I don't think that they are near as good as the Hasegawa. I am working on an "L" at the moment and some of the edges of vents and other openings are way too thick and require work to make them believably thin. Wheels/tires need replaced. The early version may have a more accurate windshield, but the intakes on the noses terminate in blank dimples that should be drilled out. These kits have the dreaded raised rivets in places where they shouldn't.

Both Hasegawa/Pro-modeler and Academy have parts to box in the wheel wells, but both are pretty lacking in detail, here (there's a spaghetti work of plumbing in the real things)

HTH, Dwayne

May 11th, 2009, 1:20 am #17

Best detail: Hasegawa
Easiest to assemble: Academy (except for the nose)
Most versatile: Monogram

If I were to build one today, it would be one of Academy's Lightnings with True Details resin wheels and the old KMC cockpit set now sold by Squadron.

Lee K
a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

May 11th, 2009, 2:05 am #18

[/IMG] [/IMG]
Last edited by ov10bronco on May 11th, 2009, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2009, 4:35 am #19

Here's my early Academy. P-38G. They got the windshield correct.

Bo Roberts
[/IMG]
Hey that doesn't look like a P51 at all, ;-) n/t

May 11th, 2009, 1:31 pm #20

[/IMG] [/IMG]

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The fate of unborn millions may now depend, under God, upon the conduct and courage of this army. Our country's honor calls upon us for vigorous and manly exertion, and if we shamefully fail, we will become infamous to the whole world."
George Washington in a message to his troops.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."