Best Ferrari 250GTO kit?

Best Ferrari 250GTO kit?

Peter Brown
Peter Brown

April 10th, 2010, 7:24 pm #1

After many years making warbird models,I've moved into MotoGP bikes but I really fancy making a 1/24 250 GTO-a really beautiful car.Not into superdetaling etc,just a clean build.
Kits are from Fujimi and Revell-are there any others and what's your opinions please?
Thanks
Pete

April 10th, 2010, 8:34 pm #2

The newer Fujimi, while I haven't seen it built in the flesh, looks very good in photos.

I have built and seen others' built-ups of the Testors/Italeri one, and it is very good as well.

I don't believe you can go too far wrong with either.

I don't know where the Revell one came from, so no comment on that one directly...

April 11th, 2010, 3:07 am #3

After many years making warbird models,I've moved into MotoGP bikes but I really fancy making a 1/24 250 GTO-a really beautiful car.Not into superdetaling etc,just a clean build.
Kits are from Fujimi and Revell-are there any others and what's your opinions please?
Thanks
Pete
I have seen some well done Testors/Italeri GTOs built up and they looked really good. I have heard debates on the body shape of the various kits but here's something to keep in mind; all the 250 GTOs were hand formed from aluminum sheet and no two real cars are exactly the same shape. I think the Revell of Germany kit is a re-issue of the old Protar kit. My experience with Protar kits in general has not been very good.

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

RR
RR

April 11th, 2010, 3:38 am #4

One side to the other.

April 11th, 2010, 3:53 am #5

That why I take body shape debates with multiple grains of salt

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

phil m.
phil m.

April 11th, 2010, 11:30 am #6

Thanks
Pete
There was a Monogram 1/24 250 GTO in the sixties. I'm refurbishing an ebay set of wrecks right now. One has the Monogram kit number in the headliner. I think it was also knocked off in the far east. This might be the source of the Revell kit.

April 21st, 2010, 11:42 am #7

Thanks
Pete
The current Revell kit is the old Protar kit; it still builds up well, though.

The Italeri/AMT one is different, and also quite old, but well-liked,

There are a number of Gunze Sangyo boxes around, with or without engines, and these used to be the "gold standard", though the shape around the rear wheel arches is too square.

However, these days, the Fujimi is the one to go for. It's a pretty new kit, well up to their highest standards, and you can get it in a boxing with etch details as well:

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12354

bestest,
M.