Best F-14A in 1/48th scale?

Best F-14A in 1/48th scale?

March 17th, 2012, 1:53 am #1

Hi Guys N Gals,

With all the brands out there for the F-14A Tomcat, which one is the best for a F-14A in the mid 1970's to mid 1980's? I'm thinking Haseagawa atm, but I also see the new Hobby Boss kits out. Price is not a factor, but fit, finnish and accuracy in that order matters.

I'm thinking of a VF-84 Jolly Rogers or a Sundowner bird in full color (colour for the fellers on the other side of the pond!). Your opinions are much appreciated!

Regards,
Brandon S.
Last edited by Brandon_Sutherland on March 17th, 2012, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 2:39 am #2

builds easier than the Hasegawa and looks like a Tomcat - add some seat harnesses and you're in business sir.
DEATH to anything 72nd scale, LuftCrap-ola, Cars, and Anime!

March 17th, 2012, 2:44 am #3

Hi Guys N Gals,

With all the brands out there for the F-14A Tomcat, which one is the best for a F-14A in the mid 1970's to mid 1980's? I'm thinking Haseagawa atm, but I also see the new Hobby Boss kits out. Price is not a factor, but fit, finnish and accuracy in that order matters.

I'm thinking of a VF-84 Jolly Rogers or a Sundowner bird in full color (colour for the fellers on the other side of the pond!). Your opinions are much appreciated!

Regards,
Brandon S.
Good evening Brandon,
Can't speak for the other kits but I've built the Hase 48th F-14A years ago in the high-vis VF-111 markings (commision build for a former VF-111 pilot). All I can say for the Hasegawa kit is it fought me every step of the way. IIRC, cockpit tub to wide, intakes were kind of a bear, fwd fuselage to aft fuselage fit was not the best and the way they made up the main gear wells, GEEZUS. But with all that p***ing and moaning, in the end it turned out beautiful. Just be prepared to put some effort into it if you go with the Hasegawa kit.

Have a great day and regards,
Mark

March 17th, 2012, 3:13 am #4

Hi Guys N Gals,

Regards,
Brandon S.
Ease of build is another matter entirely, but for accuracy, Hasegawa.

March 17th, 2012, 4:51 am #5

Hi Guys N Gals,

Regards,
Brandon S.
Thanks guys!
Still not sure which one to get! I guess I'll have to check them both out myself and go from there. Troublesome kits I have lived with in the past and yes they were a PTA!

Regards,
Brandon S.

March 17th, 2012, 5:07 am #6

Hi Guys N Gals,

Regards,
Brandon S.
still the best Tomcat after all these years. Also, if you ttake time to work out some key areas of construction, the fit is not that bad.

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Last edited by ViperEnforcer on March 17th, 2012, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 6:04 am #7

Ease of build is another matter entirely, but for accuracy, Hasegawa.
You make it sound like the HB kit is a disaster.
Apart from slightly non parallel intakes the HB kit is extremely good and in most cases better. Combined with a kit that is buildable makes it now to most Tomcat fans the superior kit..plus it comes with I'll weapon loads and a better cockpit.
The Hasegawa kit has its own problems other than being a disaster to build.
For me Hobby Boss all the way...
Time to spare..go by air!

March 17th, 2012, 6:10 am #8

still the best Tomcat after all these years. Also, if you ttake time to work out some key areas of construction, the fit is not that bad.

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."
Even with time and effort it's a pain to build..
As opposed to the far better fitting HB kit which has better surface detail and full weapons fit.
If you where as you proclaim a realist Mike some even handed decision making would lead you to HB any day of the week..even with slightly no parallel intakes which can only be seen when on hands and knees crouched looking straight down the nose of the kit.
Time to spare..go by air!

March 17th, 2012, 6:24 am #9

Hi Guys N Gals,

Regards,
Brandon S.
I built one of the Hasegawa kits a long time ago, didn't notice any fit problems but I'm used to building limited run kits so my standards may not be so high. Only 'problem' I had was attaching the swing wings after I painted it which was more my fualt for not dryfitting enough. Having said that it is not some Tamiya shake'n'bake kit but I've built far far more difficult kits.

March 17th, 2012, 3:16 pm #10

Hi Guys N Gals,

Regards,
Brandon S.
Others know more than I do about accuracy issues but if you end up going with the Hasegawa kit, I've built a couple of them and David Aungst's articles here on Hyperscale were very helpful both in dealing with fit problems and accuracy. The fit issues first of all were not that bad, and secondly depend on what vintage of kit you get: Hasegawa made some fixes in the kit in the later releases (Mr. Aungst's articles explain this).
I would go with the Hasegawa; a couple of years ago I built a Hasegawa F-14 and a Tamiya P-47 simultaneously- I really enjoyed the Tomcat build, but I hardly remember being there when the P-47 was assembled. In other words it's not a perfect kit but it was a lot of fun, which is why I build models. Also, I would really recommend building more than one, as the experience you gain makes the second go a lot smoother.