Best current 1/72 Spitfire Mk 1?

Best current 1/72 Spitfire Mk 1?

February 14th, 2018, 3:30 pm #1

Hi All,
Just curious what's considered the best Spitfire Mk 1 kit in 1/72 scale these days?
Thank you!

February 14th, 2018, 5:48 pm #2

is probably the best now. AZ ones are OK too but not as nice as the Airfix. The old Hasegawa was pretty good but is now dated and not as detailed as others, certainly not cockpit for sure. Eduard has done some very nice 1/72 Spits but only late models, no Mk Is yet. The Airfix has been boxed several ways such as early and late Mk Is and as Mk II and the last box I got now has all these parts on the sprues such as two blade and 3 blade props, flat and bulged canopy and Coffman starter bulge to add for a MkII so very flexible kit. The last one I built, I converted to the prototype using an old Paragon conversion that was originally intended for the Hasegawa kit but fit the Airfix with no problem (so at least the two companies agree as to proportions). The most work was removing the gun related panels etc, on the wings and re-scribing some panels. I believe the boxing I got (with all the parts) was a more expensive boxing with several marking schemes but the basic kit is also available in a cheaper kit with just one scheme included.
Last edited by RCAFfan on February 14th, 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2018, 6:00 pm #3

Thank you! My first reaction was to look up the Tamiya Mk 1, but I then read that the fuselage is considered a mess. I just got an Aires "super detail set" for the Tamiya kit, but I'm sure I can force fit it to other manufacturers. Thanks again.

February 14th, 2018, 6:15 pm #4

the Tamiya, mostly because it was so expensive compared to others and haven;t seen their Mk I available locally for years. The wings on the Tamiya kits (Mk I and Mk V) just don't have the right shape either....