Best 1/72 F-86?

Best 1/72 F-86?

May 9th, 2012, 12:55 am #1

Who makes the best F-86 in 1/72 scale?

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

May 9th, 2012, 1:12 am #2

...wheels and a canopy or parts taken from the Heller kit. (Also the wing fences are in the wrong place.)

Many will say Fujimi or the Hobbycraft/Academy kits "inspired by them," but they have some serious shape issues. They are very fat in the fuselage, which is especially noticeable in the nose and intake, and have odd shaped airbrakes. They do have nice panel lines though...

A few of my thoughts are here:

http://ascalecanadian.blogspot.com/2010 ... draft.html

Jim
Last edited by JimBates on May 9th, 2012, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 1:18 am #3

Listen to this man. He knows whereof he speaks. n/t

May 9th, 2012, 1:18 am #4

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx
Airfix's recent effort is a cartoon. I don't know where they got that canopy from, but it's sure not an F-86. The HC kits from 25 years ago are actually pretty nice. Also in Academy boxes.

May 9th, 2012, 1:46 am #5

The book supports both the Airfix and Hobbycraft/Academy recommendations.  No comments about the canopy of the Airfix kit, but it was noted the fuselage is 1/16" short.  A few other minor things also.  As with the Skyraider book, the differences for all variants are noted with suggestions on how to incorporate them into models.

HTH,

Chris

May 9th, 2012, 2:08 am #6

Airfix's recent effort is a cartoon. I don't know where they got that canopy from, but it's sure not an F-86. The HC kits from 25 years ago are actually pretty nice. Also in Academy boxes.
From what I've seen, the Airfix glass is usable IF you sand/polish off all the framing from both pieces, glue the windscreen solid to the fuselage, and then mask off and paint your own framing.

I agree with you about the Hobbycraft kit. I thought it was quite nice and captured the Sabre very well. The XFJ-2B conversion I did on one some time back was a pleasant, easy, fun, and good-looking build.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

May 9th, 2012, 9:37 am #7

For the money it's Heller!---John
[/IMG]