"Bell Green" vs. "Curtiss Green" : a question, if my

"Bell Green" vs. "Curtiss Green" : a question, if my

March 16th, 2012, 1:59 am #1

understanding of these colors from prowling around the search function is correct:
1 "Bell Green" was the colloquial name for the tinted primer that was mixed at Bell? So "Bell Green" would not necessarily be mixed to a consistent standard?
2 "Curtiss Green" was a proprietary color mixed for Curtiss by the paint manufacturer, (Berry Brothers?) and if so was mixed to a formula for consistency as much as possible....?
I have an SB2C and a P-39 in the "wanna do" list and am trying to get my research ducks in a row
TIA as always, Pat D

March 16th, 2012, 2:15 am #2

in looking at P-39 cockpits, there appear to be various greens, most likely due to subcontracted part. Not an uncommon fact. Also, some P-39s used a molded resin-fiber seat similar to the one used in the Spitfire and it was a russet-brown color. The idea of a uniform green color in a P-39 cockpit would strike me as a bit too pure.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

March 16th, 2012, 2:18 am #3

understanding of these colors from prowling around the search function is correct:
1 "Bell Green" was the colloquial name for the tinted primer that was mixed at Bell? So "Bell Green" would not necessarily be mixed to a consistent standard?
2 "Curtiss Green" was a proprietary color mixed for Curtiss by the paint manufacturer, (Berry Brothers?) and if so was mixed to a formula for consistency as much as possible....?
I have an SB2C and a P-39 in the "wanna do" list and am trying to get my research ducks in a row
TIA as always, Pat D
Hi Pat,

As you noted, Curtiss Green was mixed for Curtiss by Berry Brothers and probably saw little variation. Introduced in 1942, it was an attempt to match the Yellow Green mixed from zinc chromate primer, aluminum paste, and black. Berry added a medium-to-dark gray enamel to zinc chromate primer and came up with something close enough for government work. The off thing was that the govenment originally didn't care about the color, but that point was forgotten when the aluminum shortage was announced. Sometime in 1943 Curtiss seems to have switched to Interior Green. Yellow Green and Interior green were mixed on the spot to avoid settling out if the primer sat too long on the shelf. The color you use will depend on when the aircraft was built.

Bell Green is anecdotal - I've net yet seen a document mentioning its existence. That doesn't mean the color didn't exist, but it does add to the confusion when one writer points to Dull Dark Green, another to Interior Green, and a third to Medium Green, each identifying the color as Bell Green. Generally, the darker shades were consistant within batches, while the Yellow Green/Interior Green varied with the quality of the original zinc chromate, the amount of black, the amount of aluminum (if used), and the thickness of the coat.

It's never easy, but at least you have several choices...

Cheers,

Dana

March 16th, 2012, 3:02 am #4

REALLY looking forward to the F4F book, the SB2U and OS2U were great reads and I'm sure the F4F will follow the pattern....

March 16th, 2012, 3:03 am #5

Hi Pat,

As you noted, Curtiss Green was mixed for Curtiss by Berry Brothers and probably saw little variation. Introduced in 1942, it was an attempt to match the Yellow Green mixed from zinc chromate primer, aluminum paste, and black. Berry added a medium-to-dark gray enamel to zinc chromate primer and came up with something close enough for government work. The off thing was that the govenment originally didn't care about the color, but that point was forgotten when the aluminum shortage was announced. Sometime in 1943 Curtiss seems to have switched to Interior Green. Yellow Green and Interior green were mixed on the spot to avoid settling out if the primer sat too long on the shelf. The color you use will depend on when the aircraft was built.

Bell Green is anecdotal - I've net yet seen a document mentioning its existence. That doesn't mean the color didn't exist, but it does add to the confusion when one writer points to Dull Dark Green, another to Interior Green, and a third to Medium Green, each identifying the color as Bell Green. Generally, the darker shades were consistant within batches, while the Yellow Green/Interior Green varied with the quality of the original zinc chromate, the amount of black, the amount of aluminum (if used), and the thickness of the coat.

It's never easy, but at least you have several choices...

Cheers,

Dana
And Lorne Green. Not to mention Red Green.

March 16th, 2012, 3:35 am #6

dusty Bonanza type patina to it and Brett Green has a kinda gold standard look.....

March 16th, 2012, 3:47 am #7

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

March 16th, 2012, 4:25 am #8

TIA as always, Pat D
Brett's colors are always correct!

Cheers!
Eugene

March 16th, 2012, 4:31 am #9

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

I thought it was kind of a duct tape color n/t

March 16th, 2012, 4:50 am #10

Rex

No-one has even mentioned "Lincoln Green".

Although why Robin Hood wants to paint an Avro Lincoln ANY kind of green is a mystery to me....

(Its friday and I wanna cold suds!)

Brett